Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A sea shell, far, far from the sea?
01-03-2015, 02:04 AM,
A sea shell, far, far from the sea?
what is it? I must know, its very old! 

[Image: 15555625333_53a1d33a97_o.jpg]

The beads may be made of shell as well? --the beads are not, bone, ivory, or clay--

[Image: 15555625753_313d76ac7a_b.jpg]

01-03-2015, 03:12 AM,
RE: A sea shell, far, far from the sea?
it it intrigues you more , it was most likely carried by a Mayan priest from mexico to northern Michigan..LOL --there is a nice story surrounding it.
01-03-2015, 02:13 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-03-2015, 02:14 PM by paul monfils.)
It looks like a piece of a "Venus Clam", a member of the molluscan family Veneridae.  Because it is only a piece, and because there are a number of similar species from different geographic areas, a more specific identification would necessitate knowing where it originally came from.  Do you have any idea?  Caribbean?  West Central American?  Eastern or Western United States?
01-04-2015, 03:17 AM,
(01-03-2015, 02:13 PM)paul monfils Wrote: It looks like a piece of a "Venus Clam", a member of the molluscan family Veneridae.  Because it is only a piece, and because there are a number of similar species from different geographic areas, a more specific identification would necessitate knowing where it originally came from.  Do you have any idea?  Caribbean?  West Central American?  Eastern or Western United States?
ok in short; i find this shell on a eroding bluff thousands of miles from the sea, it was in a native american hearth, a mess of ancient trash along with pottery fragments..  oscoda Michigan.. so i do research and talk with the local collector of the native pottery in my area, it was dead end,, he takes the pottery and artifacts,, i donate them ,  but the shell sits on my shelf,, he said it was new. well it was inside a crumbled pot..lol i do have the find on video,, 
bu okm it sits on shelf and one day i get a nes book, wrote locally, its tells about other sea shells in my area
''near the mid-1970;s .... a contractor... noticed bones falling out of the sand banks.. ... ... unusual artifacts found... and columella shells from the gulf of mexico!''

ok i found this shell pictured in a sandy bank of a river 30 miles from that above quoted site...

is what i wonder is is this something to dismiss like the pottery collector did  or should i contact someone and have this new other site analyzed? 

it really comes down to the shell. was it new and traded in or is possibly from the gulf?

ok the book i quoted shows much evidence the Mayans came to michigan to mine copper and had ties with the mound builders here.. the red ocher people,, is this possibly from them..

i not looking for anything more than am i wasting my time, or is this something important to someone?
i guess its the matter of what kind of shell it is? if it was from like new York coast it could have been traded in,,  its possible whit man broght it and traded it during the contact period .. but if its from mexico well then i would contact the guy who wrote the book... 

this video has the site skip to 14 minutes in or so

this video from book i quote,, the vid i made isnt about the shell, its about just its mysterious area..

01-04-2015, 08:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2015, 08:07 AM by paul monfils.)
If it is from the Gulf of Mexico, it is most likely this: http://www.conchology.be/?t=68&u=338028&...aab1dde3dc
This is a subspecies of the species Native Americans once used to carve "wampum" beads.
01-04-2015, 08:28 AM,
this is so cool, i will get a good video put together and share a better look and story, with clear fact over speculation...

i will say given all the strange things ,, its most likely not traded in,, it was most likely brought during the Mayan exodus to michigan and northern usa ! the exodus that the historians in the Smithsonian , are covering up... AND they came with giant Nephilium shaman! --sounds ruff, but its not my story, its american history, and well in 10 years it will be clear history! Abe Lincoln agrees!