Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Coral Smells Horrible
02-20-2010, 11:43 AM,
My Coral Smells Horrible
I saw the topic with the fan coral and I'd like to know if it works with all corals? If you find it soft on the beach with it remain soft?

03-21-2010, 06:23 PM,
My Coral Smells Horrible
Hello!  Sorry to be so slow addressing your question.  I just noticed it farther down the list.  The information given in the previous thread on this topic ("Getting the Smell out of Fan Coral") applies to various types of so-called "soft corals", which include sea fans, sea whips, various kinds of gorgonians, etc. Hard corals (those which form a calcarious stone-like mass in which they live - what most people think of as "coral") are much easier to deal with.  You just soak them in a bucket of chlorine bleach solution for 24 hours or longer, then soak them in several changes of fresh water to remove most of the bleach - several to 12 hours each - and allow them to air dry.  The bleach doesn't have to be used full strength.  1 part Chlorox or similar product to 9 parts water is usually sufficient, or for faster results a stronger solution, perhaps 1:5 Chlorox:water.  Note: If you plan on placing the coral in an aquarium with fish, multiple rinses are necessary to be sure you have removed ALL the bleach.  Soft corals cannot be placed in an aquarium, except for live ones in a marine aquarium.  <span class="petit">--Last edited by Paul Monfils on 2010-03-21 23:47:11 --</span>