Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello All! I wondering if can help me indentify these shells!!
07-28-2009, 04:27 PM,
Hello All!
Was wondering if can help me indentify these shells!!

<a href="http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/Redtrouble_album/?albumview=slideshow" target="_blank"><!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt268/Redtrouble_album/?albumview=slideshow">http://s618.photobucket.com/albums/tt26 ... =slideshow</a><!-- m --></a>

I know these Shells came from my Aunt/Uncle-They brought them back from they're travels...they traveled great deal of places-
but if I remember right my Aunt said the shells were from phillipines.They brought them back with them early 1960's...
I know that a few shells have added by my mom & myself from our coast here in Seattle area.We've had these forever seems...But as I downsize my home-as we're possibly gonna sell so we dont lose it-These SeaShells & other items had forever...I'm wondering if someone could help indentify them & tell me possibly if any of value-Or if they're collectible-If so maybe someone will enjoy them as much as we always have.I really appricate time take to read this & Any feedback would be greatly appricated!I still have dozen or so"palm sized"cones & Cypraea's
Still to photograph-if would be ok!
Again thanks to "this Forum" & for ya'll's time,
Redtrouble76
aka-Shannon in Seattle

07-29-2009, 09:35 AM,
Hi Shannon, I have had a look through your shells and I can say they are all common species worth a dollar or two each for the most part. The 'Large shell' at the end of the slideshow is the only one I am concerned about as it is Charonia tritonis, the Triton's Trumpet shell. This is now protected worldwide by CITES and you will not be able to sell it without a permit from them.
As an aside, I have a friend in Seattle who may be interested in the collection if it is not too expensive, he gives talks and lectures to kids etc. mostly on insects but he is just branching out into marine life. Send me a personal message and I will give you his email address.
Cheers, Dave
07-29-2009, 01:01 PM,
Hello Shannon,  As Dave said, these are all very common, and many of them are not in perfect condition, so would not be of much interest to serious collectors.  You asked for identification, so I'll do my best, but some of the pictures are rather small.

CLOSE-UP OF SOME FROM THE BOXES:
These are all Olive Shells (genus Oliva) except the last two. Here are my impressions of the species shown.  Some I am sure are correct, others not certain without a clearer picture.  Top, L to R:
Oliva miniacea
Oliva lignaria cryptospira
Oliva reticulata
Oliva vidua
Oliva annulata amethystina
Oliva tremulina
Oliva miniacea (?) (See if it has an orange interior)
Oliva miniacea

Bottom, L to R:
Oliva sp. (species uncertain)
Oliva oliva
Oliva reticulata
Oliva bulbosa
Oliva annulata amethystina
Ficus subintermedia (x2)

SMALL SHELLS, BOX 1 (species not mentioned above):
(2 center compartments) Turritella terebra
Next compartment: Strombus urceus
Right top: Turbo reevei
Right bottom: Turbo petholatus

SMALL SHELLS BOX 2 (species not mentioned above):
Lower left: several Terebellum terebellum, and what may be 1 Strombus terebellatus
Compartment 2:  Hippocampus sp. (seahorse)
Compartment 4: Top: Casmaria erinacea; Bottom: Cypraea talpa

PICTURE OF 3 SHELLS:
L: Conus marmoreus
R: Pleuroploca trapezium
Top:  Murex sp. (rather worn and broken, species uncertain)

CYPRAEA:
Cypraea mauritiana

Feel free to post your "palm size" shells if you wish.  <span class="petit">--Last edited by Paul Monfils on 2009-07-29 05:02:26 --</span>
08-09-2009, 02:19 PM,
Thank You Soo Much!!Both of you!As soon as I have time-probley first of week I'll be able to get some pics of the other shells.Again thank you so much for your help-I appricate It,Shannon