Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Florida Fighting Conch v. West Indian Fighting Conch
04-07-2008, 08:43 AM,
Hello.  I just found your website.  You all really know your shells.  I've been collecting for yearrs but have trouble distinguishing between the two shells named above.  Can someone please explain those differences and how to identify them?  I have about 200 of them but they are so varied by color, lip, etc. I just can't figure it out.  Can you help?  Thanks. Oh...picutres would be a great help.

04-07-2008, 09:56 AM,
Hi Foulton, this is a tricky one as both shells are so variable, there are some not even experts can tell apart! The soft parts are where the difference mainly, lies but as a rough, but not foolproof, rule of thumb; if the spines on the penultimate whorl are longer than those on the last whorl it will usually be Strombus pugilis, the West Indian Fighting Conch. If the opposite is true or if there are no spines at all, it will probably be Strombus alatus, the Florida Fighting Conch.
This only applies to shells collected in the North Caribbean, i.e. Florida and the Gulf of Mexico, those collected in the West indies or the Southern Caribbean will be pugilis as alatus does not occur there. If you send me your e.mail address I will send some pictures to you.
I hope this is helpful.
Dave
04-07-2008, 11:51 AM,
Dave, thanks for the excellent and fast reply.  My email is <!-- e --><a href="mailto:fmoulton@hotmail.com">fmoulton@hotmail.com</a><!-- e -->.  You've been a great help. Oh....all of the shells have been gathered in SW FL.  Best, Fred