Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need your help, with shells.
06-15-2013, 06:35 PM,
I need your help, with shells.
Hi members,
I have problems with shells, Few days ago I had frozen the seashells in three plastic jars full of water both helmet shells (semicassis pyrum) and ostrich foot shells (struthiolaria papulosa), but on next day I found they had cracks and damages in shells, so I discarded them. Sad

In 1990s I boiled the seashells, but 20 years later the seashells had lost their colours and glossiness. So I stopped boiling the shells.

I had seahells in my jars full of cold water and I did not enjoyed shaking the dead animals out of shells, with my right hand. they are start to smell bad. Sad

Can you please help me...How can I remove the animals out of alive seashells, without boiling & freeze the shells, and without cause the shells to crack and colours & glossy to fade ???

06-18-2013, 05:36 PM,
Re: I need your help, with shells.
Hi,

I collect shells from years too. I have always use the freezing method. I have never had any damage on any type of shell.
Any family. Boiling is much more dangerous than the microwave. microwave if use very quickly is a godd way but it's maximum 4 secondes at max power. I recommand the freezer.

Can you send me an image ? what is the T° of your freezer ?

I used a -80°C freezer during my last travel on cone shells. No cracks.

Cheers
DAVID
06-19-2013, 10:34 AM,
Hi Clinton. I find it odd that 20 years later your shells have lost their colour and glossiness. Do you keep them in bright light or daylight? This will cause such a change. Try rubbing them over with a little baby oil on a soft cloth, this can restore the colour a little.
Regarding freezing, I think what you did wrong was to freeze them in water. The water will expand as it freezes and will crack the shells.The shells should be frozen out of water, just put them one at a time into a plastic bag (no water!) and put them in the freezer. Be sure not to have any sudden temperature changes. Try putting them in the fridge for an hour first, then the freezer. Likewise, when you take them out thaw them slowly.
Boiling is fine too for most shells except shiny ones like cowries or olives. Make sure the water is cold when you put them in and bring to the boil with the shells in it. Likewise let it cool slowly.
06-20-2013, 11:04 PM,
Freezing shells is ok as long as you don't place them in water. I have shells in my freezer now and will clean them when I get the time. As for boiling shells, place them in cool water and then let the water heat up to boiling. The length of boiling time depends on the type of shells. For larger land shells, five minutes is usually enough. Marine shells will take longer. Muricidae and Buccinidae are usually harder to clean. Trochidae and Turbinidae are usually somewhat easier.

I hope that this is helpful.

07-08-2013, 11:37 AM,
Thankyou very much for your help. Smile
07-12-2013, 04:15 PM,
Thankyou Wink