Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with seashells.
06-14-2013, 01:17 PM,
Problem with seashells.
Hi members,
I collected seahells since I were a schoolboy, and I lives in Thames, New Zealand.

I had problems with seashells.

I used to boiled the alive seahells, but boiling with hotwater had caused the colours to fade, plus loss of glossliness,

Seaval days ago I had freezen the alive helmet shell (semicassis pyrum) and ostrich foot shells (struthiolaria papulosa) in my deep freezer, but next day, (25 hours later) I were disppointted to find both helmet shells & ortrich foot shells had cracks over, plus damages.

I left seaval other ostrich foot shells in cold water for seaval past days.

Can you please help me....

How I remove the animals out of alive seahells, without damage / ruin the shells ???

Your advises will be appreicated.

Clinton.

06-15-2013, 06:46 PM,
Re: Problem with seashells.
Hi,

I collect shells from years too. I have always use the freezing method. I have never had any damage on any type of shell.
Any family. Boiling is much more dangerous than the microwave. microwave if use very quickly is a godd way but it's maximum 4 secondes at max power. I recommand the freezer.

Can you send me an image ? what is the T° of your freezer ?

I used a -80°C freezer during my last travel on cone shells. No cracks.

Cheers
DAVID
06-17-2013, 11:15 PM,
You can try putting your live specimens in an air-tight plastic container and leave it any portion of the fridge (not the freezer or chilled room) for a month or so. Thereafter, use a reasonable strong water jet to flush out the animals. It will be messy but your shell texture is intact. Good to try on cypraea and olive - the glossiness is still there.
07-12-2013, 04:14 PM,
Thankyou. Wink