Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old collection found
02-13-2013, 02:32 AM,
Old collection found
Hi Everyone,
I recently uncovered an old shell collection from when I was a kid.  They were glued to a wooden knick knack display.  Most were falling off or were loose and the display was falling apart also.  I soaked a few in bleach to remove the glue (wood or elmers I think).  Hopefully I didn't damage them - though they seem fine.
I'd like to keep some of my favorites and put them in a new display.  The rest I have no space for.  I have no idea if any are desirable to a collector but I took a few pics to show what I have.  I didn't post in the ID forum since there are so many and i'd just like to know if any are worth looking into. 
Anyway....here are the pics.  The shells were all collected 35+ yrs ago when my family was stationed in Okinawa.
Thanks!
[Image: IMAG0286.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0285.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0284.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0283.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0282.jpg]
[Image: IMAG0287.jpg]

02-13-2013, 02:33 AM,
Re: Old collection found
02-13-2013, 10:36 AM,
Sorry to have to say that I can't see any images.  Sad
02-13-2013, 01:18 PM,
Fixed?

02-16-2013, 03:23 AM,
Yes, I can see them now. Much better.
From what I can see they are all pretty common shells, do they have any data? Nearly all collectors want correct data otherwise they consider the shells just 'pretty things' no scientific use. This makes them worth even less I am afraid.
If they have no data I would suggest you sell them as a job lot at a garage sale or similar, someone will want them just because they are beautiful I am sure.
02-16-2013, 04:38 AM,
Thanks for the reply.

Not exactly sure what you mean by data....but if they're common I suppose it doesn't matter much.
They're all collected from Okinawa around 1975 by my family.  From the beach and rocky tide pools.  Most were dead shells when collected.