Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tiny mussel
09-21-2012, 02:58 AM,
tiny mussel
Hello collectors,
can you please help me identify this unknown mussel ? i found this attached to a limestone rock near the intertidal zone. the size is 10 - 15 mm. from Philippines.

[Image: 4953337.jpg]

many thanks.

09-21-2012, 08:55 AM,
Re: tiny mussel
Could be Septifer excisus, though the umbos do appear to be more hooked than is usually seen in that species.
09-21-2012, 10:53 AM,
Hi Paul,
You might be right on Septifer but i am not convince it is an excisus, the mussel i post doesnt have any riblets on the body, only growth lines and somehow smoother body, i think i have Septifer excisus in my collection and i compared it  (it doesnt match at all).... i'll try to search more on this on other websites, i might  find it in femorale ( i hope so) But thanks any way, you give me an info regarding Septifer specie.
09-23-2012, 04:40 AM,
I added 2 more photos on this topic.... on my search for the name of this mussel and it amazed me as i look on the characteristic of Stavelia subdistorta, they have some similarity except for the size, S. subdistorta is huge compare to this mussel which is less than 15mm.
I might think this are baby Stavelia subdistorta, the only doubt i have is they are look already matured in their size and characters...
any idea ?
[Image: 4332063.jpg][Image: 2442994.jpg]

09-24-2012, 02:42 PM,
Hi,
I believe it is an Isognomon (Isognomonidae) specie which more related to oysters. The view of the inside of the valve should show a few equal crenelated "tooth".
Perhaps Isognomon maillardi where in some place it grows by hundreds but seldom seen in ornemental collections.
Pierre
09-26-2012, 04:49 AM,
Hello Pierre,
You are correct ! it is Isognomonidae specie, it might be I. nucleus (Lamarck, 1819) which is found in Philippines or it could be I. acutirostris (Dunker, 1812) which can be found in E.asia - W. Pacific. I.nucleus size range is 15mm. & I.acutirostris is 17mm. this 2 might be one of the specie i've post, I just need more help in distinguishing this two specie, i cant determine if the crenelated tooth are determining factors to identify this specie.

Here are two photo samples of the one i post :
[Image: 7941458.jpg]

[Image: 940554.jpg]

Diocris.
09-28-2012, 02:02 PM,
Hi Diocris, I am afraid i cant help further. Good luck.

10-03-2012, 07:08 AM,
Hi Pierre,
Thank you for your reply, Well, i guess i could label it on which the nearest Isognomonidae specie it might look, and that might be I. acutirostris.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.idscaro.net/sci/01_coll/plates/bival/pl_isognomonidae_1.htm">http://www.idscaro.net/sci/01_coll/plat ... idae_1.htm</a><!-- m -->

Diocris,