Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with shells!
05-29-2012, 01:03 AM,
help with shells!
hello all...

basically i came across this collection of shells and would appreciate some help.

i am looking to find out if these are real shells or fake shells? and how would i be able to tell the difference.

and also i would like to check that there is no real valuable shells in my collection before i give them to a freind of mine who decorates his house with anything sea related because he could get bored with them in the future and give or throw them away and that would be out of my control.

thanks

Attached Files
.jpg   002 [640x480].JPG (Size: 68.49 KB / Downloads: 28)
.jpg   003 [640x480].JPG (Size: 80.52 KB / Downloads: 27)

05-29-2012, 03:25 AM,
Re: help with shells!
Hi.  They are almost certainly real shells.  Putting together a fair size collection of real shells is easy and inexpensive.  Putting together a similar collection of fake shells would require much more time, effort and expense.  Can you provide pictures of the shells?
05-29-2012, 04:02 AM,
hey thanks for your response, can you not see the pictures? or are you asking for more detailed photo's?
05-29-2012, 05:32 AM,
Sorry to say, I cannot see the pictures.  This happens fairly often, for reasons unknown.  But often in these cases, some people on the forum can see the pictures, also for reasons unknown to me.  So, hang in there for a few days and see if someone responds.  If not, then feel free to email the pics to me and I'll be glad to help.

05-29-2012, 05:38 AM,
thanks will do.
05-29-2012, 09:15 PM,
I see no very special shells; they are common Indopacific species like Strombus luhuanus, Strombus aurisdianae, Murex ramosus, Voluta vespertilio, Angaria delphinus. The kind of shells you will find in touristshops....