Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Periostracum or not periostracum ?
03-10-2012, 01:58 AM,
Periostracum or not periostracum ?
Dear Shellcollectors !

I would like to have your opinion about:      " What is the interest to keep a shell  with periostracum? "
And what is your technique to take off periostracum .

Thank you in advanve.

03-10-2012, 10:21 AM,
Re: Periostracum or not periostracum ?
Whenever possible I like to keep one example with periostracum intact.
To remove it from other shells I usually soak in a strong bleach solution overnight.
03-11-2012, 06:47 AM,
When i started collecting shells i never thought that shell periostracum is important, but now,..  like Dave said i started to keep one example every time i collect again a specie with periostracum, same as the operculum, They are all part of a seashell. For that "i can say it is a complete seashell".
03-13-2012, 02:11 AM,
Thank you Dave & Diocriss !

04-15-2012, 10:00 PM,
hello,

Everything have been said. I rarely keep a cone shell with it's periostracum. Though if you have several specimens, you could keep from time to time one with and have an original shells. Like for the others, you may use mineral oil to make the periostracum looks like when it was in the water.

Strong bleach solution but I would not say overnight. I mean, when you see that the periostracum have been removed, do not let shells more. I remark that with the ours, the % of bleach in the solution gows down, especially if you have many shells. And if bleach in not enough concentrated, and if you forget your shells in, you will have white marks. Even if mineral oil helps, I prefer not to have these... Smile

happy Shelling,
DAVID
04-16-2012, 01:31 AM,
Thank you David T. !
                            I agree with you.
              Oiling periostracum is a good idea, i will try, specialy the ones with cracks.