Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicoreus florifer - rare forms
04-17-2009, 11:47 AM,
Many collectors look at Chicoreus florifer as a common species, but in some cases it can be rare, depending on the size; color and quality.

Two years ago i had the chance to buy one 75 mm full brown specimen, that came out from an already deceased french collector ( Roger Roult ).

Difficult to evaluate, and a very special one indeed. I have shown it to a professional dealer, and he just have never seen one alike it.  

Besides this, i only saw two smaller specimens ( about 45 mm ) that Philippe Poppe had for sell, caught in Florida on the back sixties, and thats all the refferences i have.

The one i have it is from Cape Hatteras ; North Carolina ; and the year it was caught it is a riddle to me.

Besides the full brown ; comes the full orange and the black form , from Bahamas .

Twenty years ago the black form used to be common, judging from the literature from those times. Nowadays rare and a prize to get one.

In my oppinion full brown and orange color forms always have been rare, and seldom seen in most collections.

All other color forms , such as white ; white/brown ; brown with white dashes are common till 60 mm or so.

I´ll be glad to provide its pictures to everyone interested in. Besides this i have two black from the Bahamas ( 67 and 81 mm ) and a florifer emyliae ( 70 mm ) from Colombia.

04-17-2009, 12:29 PM,
I have 3 all brown forms, two large (c. 60mm) and one small. I did not think they were particularly rare. I don't have a black one but I do have all intergrades from pure white to all brown.
Dave
09-01-2011, 03:30 AM,
Re: Chicoreus florifer - rare forms
Here's a photo presentation of several C. florifer.

http://z14.invisionfree.com/Conchologist...topic=1861

Additional photo contributions would be welcome.  You can also email photos and data to me at marlo@cfl.rr.com and I'll do the posting if you prefer.

[img width=640 height=480]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/olram9/Muricidae/cfd7.jpg[/img]
[Image: Marlo.jpg]