Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help identifying shells from pacific island
06-22-2011, 10:15 PM,
Help identifying shells from pacific island
I found these shells over the last year on the small island of tinian, near Guam. I have been able to identify a few online, but need help with most of them. Are any of these rare? i have also included of the one i am most interested in, i havent seen any like it before. thanks a lot, z.

http://www.badongo.com/pic/13192445

Attached Files
.jpg   newshells.JPG (Size: 48.71 KB / Downloads: 10)
.jpg   new1.JPG (Size: 41.62 KB / Downloads: 8)
.jpg   new2.JPG (Size: 43.4 KB / Downloads: 8)

06-23-2011, 01:38 AM,
Re: Help identifying shells from pacific island
Hi,  These are all common species.  I can ID most of them for you.  A few are uncertain because of the degree of wear and/or the angle of photography.

Top row: Cypraea mauritiana; Cypraea arabica; Cypraea lynx; Cypraea arabica; Cypraea arabica; Terebra maculata

Row 2 (4 small shells):  Conus lividus or Conus flavidus, not sure which; Cypraea isabella; Cypraea carneola; Conus miles

Row 3 (5 small shells): First one is a member of the family Fasciolariidae, pretty worn but probably Latirus polygonus; Strombus mutabilis; Cypraea sp.; Cypraea moneta; Cypraea sp., probably Cypraea globulus or Cypraea bistrinotata.

Large shell to the right of rows 2 and 3:  Trochus niloticus

Row 4: Probably Conus lividus; Conus litteratus; Conus pulicarius; Terebra sp., probably an immature Terebra maculata, a better picture would clarify.

Row 5: Conus ebraeus; Strombus mutabilis; Conus planorbis vitulinus

Two shells at bottom:  Immature Cypraea that have not yet developed the adult pattern, either Cypraea eglantina or Cypraea arabica

May be able to ID the uncertain ones with better pictures - straight-on view, as closeup as possible, of both the top and the bottom sides of the shell.