Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conus (Stephanoconus) zonatus: Conoidea: Conidae
07-31-2017, 10:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2017, 03:40 AM by JackSullivan.)
Conus (Stephanoconus) zonatus: Conoidea: Conidae
I have 2 of these amazing shells but am uncertain as to which subgenus it belongs. WoRMS says Stephanoconus but physically it more closely resembles Rhombiconus. Apparently the assignment was based on DNA data rather than similarity of physical characteristics.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

08-02-2017, 03:12 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017, 03:17 PM by david touitou.)
RE: Conus (Stephanoconus?) zonatus: Conoidea: Conidae
Hello,

I recently traveled to Maldives. I found several in shallow water (see attachment). This shell is very close to Conus (Stephanoconus) imperialis Linnaeus, 1758. Shell is very close in shape and the spire is also very close to. The pattern of course not. The animal has a very close color, a litlle darker than imperialis. They move on the seabed the same way and the habitat is exactly the same. So I guess it belongs to the Stephanoconus if imperialis has the right subgenus ^^

Bye,
DAVID

[Image: mini_345376zonatus.jpg]
08-03-2017, 05:01 AM,
(08-02-2017, 03:12 PM)david touitou Wrote: Hello,

I recently traveled to Maldives. I found several in shallow water (see attachment). This shell is very close to Conus (Stephanoconus) imperialis Linnaeus, 1758. Shell is very close in shape and the spire is also very close to. The pattern of course not. The animal has a very close color, a litlle darker than imperialis. They move on the seabed the same way and the habitat is exactly the same. So I guess it belongs to the Stephanoconus if imperialis has the right subgenus ^^

Bye,
DAVID

Attached are rough pix of a shell that I bought from Rick Negus with the label Rhombiconus zonatus. According to WoRMS that should be Stephanoconus. I am looking at specimens of Conus (Stephanoconus) imperialis imperialis & Conus (Stephanoconus) imperialis compactus & they appear almost identical to my Rhombiconus zonatus in every regard except for the reddish pigment lines around the shell barrel. So I agree with your conclusion.

Beautiful shells you brought back!

Jack

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

08-03-2017, 05:09 AM,
Hello,

And like I wrote : these shells share so many things. When all covered with crusted alge or corals one cannot say it's imperialis or zonatus ^^
Bye
DAVID

08-03-2017, 06:30 AM,
(08-03-2017, 05:09 AM)david touitou Wrote: Hello,

And like I wrote : these shells share so many things. When all covered with crusted alge or corals one cannot say it's imperialis or zonatus ^^
Bye
DAVID

To further muddy the waters (pun intended), Tucker & Tonorio erected the genus Rhombiconus in their 2009 reclassification of the Conidae & included zonatus in that new genus. I believe this is the information source that Rick used when he labeled my shell.

Rhombiconus & Stephanoconus are very closely related in any event.

Jack
08-03-2017, 06:05 PM,
We'll check in the next huge book next year from LIMPALAER, ROBIN and MONNIER, what they choose ^^
09-07-2017, 11:56 PM,
(08-02-2017, 03:12 PM)david touitou Wrote: Hello,

I recently traveled to Maldives. I found several in shallow water (see attachment). This shell is very close to Conus (Stephanoconus) imperialis Linnaeus, 1758. Shell is very close in shape and the spire is also very close to. The pattern of course not. The animal has a very close color, a litlle darker than imperialis Mutuelles senior. They move on the seabed the same way and the habitat is exactly the same. So I guess it belongs to the Stephanoconus if imperialis has the right subgenus ^^

Bye,
DAVID

So it is certainly not a known animal given the description you gave us.