Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conus (Stephanoconus) cedonulli: Conoidea: Conidae
07-11-2017, 12:17 PM,
Conus (Stephanoconus) cedonulli: Conoidea: Conidae
Conus cedonulli is a famous species of Conus & some available from Europe command prices in the hundreds of dollars. I was lucky this evening on eBay & picked up one for a lot less. Here is an interesting historical reference on the history of this species:
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/ency...nulli.html

I picked up several new species for my collection this evening, this being one. Besides collecting new species, I try to have at least 2 examples of the same species for comparison.

Jack

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

08-02-2017, 02:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017, 02:58 PM by david touitou.)
RE: Conus (Stephanoconus) cedonulli: Conoidea: Conidae
Dear Jack,

I had the chance to visit twice the West Indies while I was living in Martinique (2000 to 2002). I was on a sail boat but was the only collector onboard. So I snorkeled and scuba alone several time, especially at night. I had the chance to find several Conus dominicanus crawling on the sand.

All these shells are really awesome. Though I did not find any Conus cedonulli during my 2 night dives in St Vincent... A SHAME ! (the one you see was bought locally to a diver for a few euros).

Bye !
DAVID

[Image: MART05.jpg]
08-03-2017, 07:05 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2017, 06:04 PM by david touitou.)
[quote="david touitou" pid='18583' dateline='1501649851']
Dear Jack,

I had the chance to visit twice the West Indies while I was living in Martinique (2000 to 2002). I was on a sail boat but was the only collector onboard. So I snorkeled and scuba alone several time, especially at night. I had the chance to find several Conus dominicanus crawling on the sand.

All these shells are really awesome. Though I did not find any Conus cedonulli during my 2 night dives in St Vincent... A SHAME ! (the one you see was bought locally to a diver for a few euros).

Bye !
DAVID

I envy you your travels & adventures! That's a wonderful batch of shells!

I visited Martinique (Club Med) to try SCUBA but had a problem equalizing my inner ear pressure, so the nurse told me to relax & enjoy my vacation. At the end of my trip I saw the GREEN FLASH as the sun set but failed to get it on film.

Jack
08-03-2017, 06:03 PM,
Ear problems are the worst problem with sinus for divers Sad
Did you manage to make a little snorkeling there ? You could have found nice stuff ?
Like the very variavle Conus regius Smile

Bye
DAVID

08-04-2017, 03:52 AM,
(08-03-2017, 06:03 PM)david touitou Wrote: Ear problems are the worst problem with sinus for divers Sad
Did you manage to make a little snorkeling there ? You could have found nice stuff ?
Like the very variavle Conus regius Smile

Bye
DAVID

No snorkeling. Club Med was very 'bare bones' in what they offered. The beer is weak, the liquor is watered down, but the food is plentiful & good. This was many years ago but I don't recall them offering snorkeling, as in providing the equipment & boat trips to good areas.

When I vacationed on the Dutch side of St. Martin, we had a snorkeling excursion to a reef off the French side of the island. In fact, we were close to Harry Belafonte's big, modern house. As I recall, the sewage disposal plant was just a short distance from his house, which I'm sure he did not appreciate. I wasn't into shelling at that time. As it was during the day, it would have been hard to see the cones as they burrow into the sand.

Jack
08-04-2017, 05:59 AM,
ok Jack... so no snorkeling in Martinique... I never been to the Club Med area in Martinique, I have no idea of what the beach look like.
Bye !
DAVID