Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not Much To Go On, But Hoping!
01-22-2017, 10:37 PM,
Not Much To Go On, But Hoping!
This tiny snail was found by accident, when photographing a small crab on a sea rod in Cape Cod. I'm sure it's a juvenile of some species. I realize that it's a very poor pic, as it wasn't the main subject of the photo. I'm hoping that someone may be able to point in the right direction, in attempting to identify it. Many thanks in advance for any input. It will be greatly appreciated. Thx, Jeff

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

02-07-2017, 02:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-07-2017, 02:39 PM by paul monfils.)
RE: Not Much To Go On, But Hoping!
(01-22-2017, 10:37 PM)Jeff D Wrote: This tiny snail was found by accident, when photographing a small crab on a sea rod in Cape Cod. I'm sure it's a juvenile of some species. I realize that it's a very poor pic, as it wasn't the main subject of the photo. I'm hoping that someone may be able to point in the right direction, in attempting to identify it. Many thanks in advance for any input. It will be greatly appreciated. Thx, Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm a long time collector on Cape Cod, but this one is a bit of a mystery. Perhaps a juvenile Anachis avara? What is the approximate length of the specimen?

Regards,
Paul Monfils
02-13-2017, 03:27 AM,
RE: Not Much To Go On, But Hoping!
Hi Paul, I enlisted some help from the Woods Hole O.I. and Cornell University and they both identified it as a Lunar Dove Snail. It's amazing how everyone is willing to help! Thx