Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
polished?
06-17-2016, 03:15 PM,
polished?
I cannot figure out what species these shells are at first I thought that they are polished but the meat is still in the inside so I don't think that is the case they are very very thin bivalves. 50x40mm in size any guesses? genus?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06-17-2016, 06:50 PM,
RE: polished?
Hi Jason123,

perhaps you could think about recent Brachiopoda, too........... .

Have a nice time: wolf
06-21-2016, 12:58 AM,
Hi,
I'm just thinking again about your specimens. Do you know where they are from?
There are some recent Brachiopod genera which come rather close to your shells (Campagnes, Gryphus, Stenosarina, Terebratulina and so on).
Regards: wolf
06-23-2016, 03:43 PM,
(06-21-2016, 12:58 AM)wolfi Wrote: Hi,
There are some recent Brachiopod genera which come rather close to your shells (Campagnes, Gryphus, Stenosarina, Terebratulina and so on).

These came out of a collection from the 60's all the other shells are from CA and FL in the collection expect for cone shells. I am thinking they are juvenile. this last month I have purchased 3 collections off collectors so its been crazy trying to catalog everything with proper ID's. the original owner of these shells died and they cannot find his records for some of his collection so I been going through books and websites trying to ID the last few shells I normal only collect murex shells so this has been a very fun adventure about learning about different families of shells.

06-23-2016, 03:47 PM,
(06-21-2016, 12:58 AM)wolfi Wrote: Hi,

they are brachiopods check out

http://eas2.unl.edu/~tfrank/History%20on..._Fauna.htm
06-23-2016, 08:14 PM,
Hi jason123,
thank you so much for your tremendous help........ .
Kind regards: wolf
06-24-2016, 10:07 AM,
after a lot of reading and learning I have come to the conclusion that these are TEREBRATULIDAE Grypus vitreus they are not bivalves. I just wish I had better documentation for them Sad

06-24-2016, 05:56 PM,
Hi jason123,
sorry: it's Gryphus, not Grypus.
".......they are not bivalves". True enough, see my posts from 06-17-2016ff.
Have a nice time: wolf