Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help Needed to ID Two Shells Please
02-21-2015, 09:27 AM,
Help Needed to ID Two Shells Please
I found these two shells at Sandwich bay in Kent, UK. One I think might be a 'flowery venus clam' but am not sure.

The other (circled in red) is a small yellow shell, that kind of looks like a twisted sweetcorn Smile. I have pictured it next to a flat winkle to show the difference. It has a 'flat' end, but it points in a different way than the flat winkle.  Sorry about the bad pictures of this one, it's quite small and the macro won't focus as low lighting.

Both shells are ones that I have never found in the UK before. Any help to ID them would be appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

02-23-2015, 01:11 AM,
RE: Help Needed to ID Two Shells Please
Hello,
I think picture #1 is Venus verrucosa.
02-25-2015, 06:39 AM,
Hello and thanks Bence,

I found out the name of my first shell from your ID, I was googling Venus Verrucosa and came upon a slightly different looking shell which looks like mine exactly, frilled Antigona Venus shell - Antigona lamellaris. (It has red/pinkish patterning which cannot be seen in my pic.)
02-25-2015, 07:48 AM,
Bence, On second look I think your ID was spot on. I got a bit carried away with the Antigona Lamellaris ID. But now I've seen more pics of Venus Verrucosa, and some of them have the same pink markings. My shell is not squared off like the Antigona Lamellaris. But whats puzzling me is that the raised lines on mine aren't as frilly as I can see in pics of the Venus Verrucosa.  

02-25-2015, 01:59 PM,
The two yellow shells are the same species, Littorina obtusata (Linnaeus, 1758).  The one on the left is just an immature specimen.
02-28-2015, 02:24 AM,
Thanks Paul,

I think some of the shell had broken off, but in a very neat way this made me think it was a different shape. When I roll it on its side, and imagine the rest of the shell, it matches the Littorina obtusata exactly.