Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cape Cod Shell
12-04-2014, 01:19 PM,
Cape Cod Shell
This was recently found at Linell Landing, Brewster on Cape Cod. I have never seen this as a local shell.
It is 58 mm long and 45 mm wide. I was only able to attach one photo, the rest are too large. If anyone wants more photos, i can email them separately.
Thank you for any assistance.
Elizabeth

12-05-2014, 10:34 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-05-2014, 10:41 AM by paul monfils.)
RE: Cape Cod Shell
Hi Elizabeth,

This is Bufonaria rana, the "Common Frog Shell" from the Western Indo-Pacific region.  I believe this is the 5th time - maybe more - that someone has posted an Indo-Pacific shell they found on Cape Cod or in Florida.  I don't live far from Cape Cod, and have done quite a bit of collecting there.  I have also found a couple of Indo-Pacific shells on Cape Cod beaches.  It isn't really surprising since Cape Cod has many tourist shops that sell baskets of common Indo-Pacific shells.  People buy them, then drop them, or discard ones they don't care for, I suppose.

http://www.conchology.be/?t=66&species=Bufonaria+rana

12-05-2014, 05:04 PM,
RE: Cape Cod Shell
(12-05-2014, 10:34 AM)paul monfils Wrote: Hi Elizabeth,

This is Bufonaria rana, the "Common Frog Shell" from the Western Indo-Pacific region.  I believe this is the 5th time - maybe more - that someone has posted an Indo-Pacific shell they found on Cape Cod or in Florida.  I don't live far from Cape Cod, and have done quite a bit of collecting there.  I have also found a couple of Indo-Pacific shells on Cape Cod beaches.  It isn't really surprising since Cape Cod has many tourist shops that sell baskets of common Indo-Pacific shells.  People buy them, then drop them, or discard ones they don't care for, I suppose.

http://www.conchology.be/?t=66&species=Bufonaria+rana

Thank you very much for the ID. I was thinking that someone was salting our beaches. If you are on cape cod, stop at the museum. I will put you to work. I am in the process of verifying/identifying all the shells in our collections. I usually don't have to play detective with alien species.  
et