Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to soften and unfold a dry and folded sea fan
01-09-2011, 07:38 AM,
How to soften and unfold a dry and folded sea fan
Greetings!

I bought a large dried sea fan some time ago, but I haven't framed and hung it yet because one third of the fan is folded over.  The sea fan is delicate and I'm afraid that 1) it may break if I attempt to flatten it out and 2) if I am somehow successful with unfolding it will be creased.  I read a posting about soaking a sea fan in alcohol to "cure" it and get rid of the smell - however I don't know if this will soften the fan adequately and allow for me to unfold it and dry it perfectly flat withough doing damage?

I'm looking to this knowledgeable community for assistance and appreciate any tips that can help get a successful result!

Thank you in advance for your help!
Erica

01-09-2011, 12:32 PM,
Re: How to soften and unfold a dry and folded sea fan
Hi,

The alcohol treatment may soften the sea fan a bit, but probably not enough to unfold it and get it flat. Actually the only reason the alcohol would soften it at all is that the recommended alcohol contains 30% water. Stronger alcohol would soften it less. To soften it I would try a soak in water with a little liquid dish detergent added (not dishwasher detergent). It would go faster if the water was a little warm, but not hot.  When it regains its flexibility, unfold and flatten it, then hold it flat somehow until it dries.