Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you organize your collection?
05-26-2014, 08:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-26-2014, 01:04 PM by sdsheller.)
How do you organize your collection?
I have been collecting insects (especially beetles) seriously for about 12 years, and keep them mounted with full data in unit trays in Cornell drawers, museum-style. 

Now I've been dabbling in shell collecting, something I loved and aspired to carry out in a serious manner even as a child, but which I've never really pursued until recently.

I decided to continue using wooden, glass-topped Cornell drawers, and even unit trays to organize the shell species. I place a piece of black felt on top of some cotton in the tray, and the data label or labels under the felt. Then I try to arrange them phylogenetically, as I do my insects (although that is a work in progress!).

I would love to see other collectors' modes of organizing. I got the black felt idea from seeing a photo of a shell collection on a shell forum, and find it fun and inspirational to see others' methods!

05-27-2014, 07:32 PM,
RE: How do you organize your collection?
(05-26-2014, 08:54 AM)sdsheller Wrote: Hello,

I personnally recommend to avoid wood-dust-air-sun contact.
Please read this : http://www.seashell-collector.com/beginn...oring.html

Happy Shelling,
DAVID

I have been collecting insects (especially beetles) seriously for about 12 years, and keep them mounted with full data in unit trays in Cornell drawers, museum-style. 

Now I've been dabbling in shell collecting, something I loved and aspired to carry out in a serious manner even as a child, but which I've never really pursued until recently.

I decided to continue using wooden, glass-topped Cornell drawers, and even unit trays to organize the shell species. I place a piece of black felt on top of some cotton in the tray, and the data label or labels under the felt. Then I try to arrange them phylogenetically, as I do my insects (although that is a work in progress!).

I would love to see other collectors' modes of organizing. I got the black felt idea from seeing a photo of a shell collection on a shell forum, and find it fun and inspirational to see others' methods!
05-28-2014, 06:35 AM,
Thanks David, for the tips. They are safe from dust and light (the drawers are designed to keep out dermestid beetle larvae, and are in a cabinet), but the wood might be an issue, I now see. It is pine, not oak at least. 

Can sealing the wood on the interior of the drawers help?
05-30-2014, 03:16 AM,
Hello, I guess that your shells should be ok, of course wood is not the friend of shell collectors... that the reason why I prefer that collectors use hermetic plastic boxes in their wooden cabinet. Whay do you not use containers ? It's the best issue and tools boxes are usually enough. Cowries I collected in 1990's have exactly the same shine (colors may fade on some species of course). I have seen in another collector collections hundreds of cowries that had lost their natural shine ad the guy stored for years his shells in a wooden cabinet with no protection. Sone families are not that fragile, but naturally glossy shells are.

cheers,
DAVID

02-21-2015, 08:34 PM,
I have been labeling and box framing my shell collection. This is for my own pleasure really, and because I want a quick visual reference of all UK shells on my wall. I am not worried too much about preserving the markings on these ones.

Of course I have my special shells, I am trying to build another collection of UK shells, but only with the most beautiful examples of each species. I have an air tight scientific display cabinet from the 1800's, which I keep relics in and was thinking of using that, but after reading this thread I will be using the hermetic plastic boxes. 

I have found tiny beetles in my 'air tight' display cabinet and have had to take everything out and wash it all :0 I  guess those were dermestid beetles, they seem to get into everything. 
02-21-2015, 09:15 PM,
Hello,

Great that you'll use hermetic boxes, over years this does make sense !

Cheers
DAVID
02-22-2015, 09:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2015, 09:35 PM by EverBurning.)
Thanks David, 

I have ordered some plastic boxes and will be keeping these inside my display cabinet. I like the tray type ones with compartments, they look like a great way to organise into species etc.

The attachment is one of the sections that I am working on, to be box framed. It prob looks very basic Smile but it's just a reference to go on my wall. I am using the local British names for the shells on my display.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

02-23-2015, 06:31 PM,
Hello,

This starts nice, you shall also write the official name (latin) as it will be worldwide used and the name of the spot you found the shells and the date (year) too. you could regret in the future not to have written spot names.

Bye
DAVID
02-25-2015, 06:52 AM,
Thanks David,

I remember where I found most of them so perhaps I better write it all down while I still have the info in my mind. I'm trying to get to grips with the Latin names, some I am beginning to recognize. I'm finding it not so self explanatory (as with plant names), I need to read up on sea shell taxonomy.
03-31-2015, 07:04 AM,
Hello,

I personnally also know where I found every single shell after 20 years of shelling but one day maybe... it will change ^^ 

You will get used to latin names and taxonomy. It's not that hard to learn and you may find some rules there :
http://www.seashell-collector.com/beginn...latin.html

Happy Shelling,
​DAVID