Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you organize your collection?
06-01-2017, 04:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2017, 06:02 AM by JackSullivan. Edit Reason: more stuff )
RE: How do you organize your collection?
I spent a lot of time trying to identify the right make of multi-compartment box for my shell collection. I finally found the Zoro Model G4272755 12-compartment box clear plastic box with dual snap closures. Here are the dimensions: 13-1/8" W x 9" L x 2-5/16" H. Each compartment can fit a shell up to 104mm long & 55mm across, so they fit most of my Conus collection with no problem. Here is the URL for this box: https://www.zoro.com/durham-compartment-.../G4272755/ If you buy over $50 worth (8 pieces) they give you free shipping.

I used to collect war surplus military electronics gear, so my large finished basement walls are lined with wide plywood shelves that I had built from 0.5 inch plywood sheets, 2x4"s & plastic sawhorses. The Zoro boxes are stacked along the wall 5 high, in alphabetical sequence, which gives me plenty of room in front for unpacking shipments, measuring shells, checking references, etc. The boxes are not in direct sun light & I maintain a constant 45% RH. I use surgical tape labels on the front of each box with the name of the Tucker & Tonorio subgenus written on it in black marker (Conus, Cylinder, Phasmoconus, etc).

I have over 100 species & quite a few multiples of given species that I will use for either trading or selling in my eBay store. I currently have 35 Zoro boxes. Some, like Pionoconus, fill more than one box, which can fit as many as 35-45 smaller shells. Each shell is in a ULINE ziplock plastic bag to protect it from the air, along with its label.

As my main interest is in studying the biology & evolution of the Conoidea, I have begun collecting shells from the Terebridae & Turridae families within that superfamily or suborder: Gemmula, Terebra, etc. These are of great interest to me as they have a common peptide venom & delivery system & likely evolved from common ancestors.

Jack

06-06-2017, 12:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017, 12:21 AM by david touitou.)
Thumbs Up  RE: How do you organize your collection?
(06-01-2017, 04:58 AM)JackSullivan Wrote: I spent a lot of time trying to identify the right make of multi-compartment box for my shell collection. I finally found the Zoro Model G4272755 12-compartment box clear plastic box with dual snap closures. Here are the dimensions: 13-1/8" W x 9" L x 2-5/16" H. Each compartment can fit a shell up to 104mm long & 55mm across, so they fit most of my Conus collection with no problem. Here is the URL for this box: https://www.zoro.com/durham-compartment-.../G4272755/ If you buy over $50 worth (8 pieces) they give you free shipping.

I used to collect war surplus military electronics gear, so my large finished basement walls are lined with wide plywood shelves that I had built from 0.5 inch plywood sheets, 2x4"s & plastic sawhorses. The Zoro boxes are stacked along the wall 5 high, in alphabetical sequence, which gives me plenty of room in front for unpacking shipments, measuring shells, checking references, etc. The boxes are not in direct sun light & I maintain a constant 45% RH. I use surgical tape labels on the front of each box with the name of the Tucker & Tonorio subgenus written on it in black marker (Conus, Cylinder, Phasmoconus, etc).

I have over 100 species & quite a few multiples of given species that I will use for either trading or selling in my eBay store. I currently have 35 Zoro boxes. Some, like Pionoconus, fill more than one box, which can fit as many as 35-45 smaller shells. Each shell is in a ULINE ziplock plastic bag to protect it from the air, along with its label.

As my main interest is in studying the biology & evolution of the Conoidea, I have begun collecting shells from the Terebridae & Turridae families within that superfamily or suborder: Gemmula, Terebra, etc. These are of great interest to me as they have a common peptide venom & delivery system & likely evolved from common ancestors.

Jack

Dear Jack,

I checked your boxes and they seems great. I used same type of boxes in the past. These protect all shells from dust pretty well. But the material used is not transparent and with time some can change color to yellowish (depending of the quality of course).

I recently found another model which is wonderful but not adapable. It's 100% transparent (acrylic) and is made for scrapbooking. 2 sizes can be purchased.
On ebay they are not cheap but you can get them directly from China.
Example : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/232042355270?ul_noapp=true

They fit for 95% of my shells. The only thing that is a problem : the compartments are not removable... this means that you have to break some of them for bigger species... but all my self collecting collection is perfectly displayed !

Find attached an image of some boxes.

Happy Shelling,
DAVID

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)