Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shell Identification
05-21-2014, 09:01 AM,
Shell Identification
[attachment=159]Let me first thank you for your time and the opportunity to avail myself of this very informational site. My situation is thus. I know absolutely nothing about seashells. My 98 year old Grandmother passed away recently and she collected many odds and ends. In one box she had some seashells that she had kept over the years. I would like to ask for your assistance in viewing these photos and just letting me know if there is anything rare, out of the ordinary, or worth hanging on to. I would just hate to think I got rid of something that she had kept, if it had some sort of value to it. Otherwise, I will probably put them in an aquarium, terrarium, or something to that effect. Thank you again for your help, as I am sure it took time and effort to attain the expertise you possess.

05-21-2014, 01:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-28-2014, 09:18 AM by paul monfils.)
RE: Shell Identification
Hi,
There is really nothing rare or unusual here.  They are all very common species.  Also, most of them are not of sufficient quality to interest a serious collector, even if they were uncommon. Collectors tend to be picky that way, whether they collect stamps, coins, shells, or whatever.  If these were in perfect condition, the prices would range from about $2.00 to $5.00.  Just in case you might be interested, here's a quick survey of what you have (numbering consecutively across the top row, then middle row, then bottom row):
1. Turritella or Turret Shell, may be Turritella leucostoma (white-mouth turret shell) from West Central America
2. Astraea undosa, wavy turban shell, California to Baja California
3. Phalium bisulcatum, Japanese Bonnet Shell, Western Pacific
4. Echinarachnius parma, Eastern Sand Dollar, Eastern USA
5. Cypraea spadicea, Chestnut Cowrie, California to Baja California
6. Strongylocentrotus droehbachiensis, Green Sea Urchin, North Atlantic
7. Bufonaria rana, Frog Shell, Western Pacific
8. Oliva sayana, Lettered Olive Shell, SE United States
9. Same as #4
10. Hexaplex (Murex) nigritus, Black Murex, Gulf of California
11,12. Strombus turturella, Western Pacific
13,14,15. Polinices, Moon Snails.  #13 and 15 are Polinices duplicatus, the Shark-Eye Moon Snail, Eastern USA
#15 may be a different species of moon snail, or the same one.  Would need to see the underside to be sure.
Cheers!
05-21-2014, 03:30 PM,
RE: Shell Identification
Thank you so much for taking the time to list the different species. That was over and above what I expected. You are very unselfish with both your time and knowledge, and it is easy to see why a person would frequent your forum. Thank you again, Robert.