Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subtile Anadara
12-31-2010, 02:45 AM,
Subtile Anadara
Have id problem with this Anadara from Mannar-gulf S.E.India; 30.0 mm; 26 radial ribs.
There are so many similar species. Thank you for help.

[Image: kscouicz.jpg]

12-31-2010, 09:54 PM,
Re: Subtile Anadara
You should take a look at this paper: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rfems.dvo.ru/bulletin/vol_010/article_07.pdf">http://rfems.dvo.ru/bulletin/vol_010/article_07.pdf</a><!-- m --> (On the fauna of bivalves of the subfamily Anadarinae (Arcidae) from southern India). Though it's in russian, it has lots of plates with pictures.
12-31-2010, 11:44 PM,
Thank you Mike, very helpfull    Smile
By the way, what do you think about the " Dr.Markus Huber, Compendium of Bivalve " ?  ( Conch Books )
~~~~ Happy new year ~~~~
01-01-2011, 01:39 AM,
I got the Compendium of Bivalves a few weeks ago. I think the book is good value for the (high) price. It has lots of pictures, exspecially of the more common families and I could at once identify lots of my bivalves which avoided identification before (e.g. lots of Veneridae like Dosinia and Antigona). The book doesn't cover a few families like Tellinidae, Lucinidae und some others, so it's actually ment to be the Part 1 of a 2-part series.

Do you have the book? What do you think of it? Or are you looking for an advice whether to buy it?

P.S. Happy new year to you too! :-)

01-01-2011, 06:05 AM,
Thx  for reply. I’v got it for christmas and start toget used to it. I’m not a bivalve expert but it is nevertheless usefull for me.
My 1rst  impression :  total  900 pages
                                          435 pages  pics
                                          275 pages  special remarks
                                              84 pages books & periodicals
                              The rest: instruction, contents ect...
That makes a lot of text (more then half of the book, certainly helpful )
About the graphic concept: ( I have 2 graphic art-students at home ), i doubt about the professional  layout.
Anyway, my absolute respect concerning the invest, bringing out a book like this. It is a “mustâ€
01-02-2011, 03:46 AM,
Yes, the amount of text in this book did bother me too. I would have prefered the (huge) bibliography only being stored on the CD and not also printed in the book. But if you think about it, there are lots of shell collectors, who are not that familiar with a computer, so to print everything in the book is quite unavoidable...

By reading the book description on Conchbooks I also got the impression that the CD would contain additional pictures of the specimen (which would have been really easy to accomplish for the publisher...). That is sadly not the case. Don't know how I got to this impression Smile.

Having said that, the book is still a huge piece of a well done work. And I will definitely buy the second part, should it be ever published.
01-02-2011, 05:02 AM,
I agree with you.
To see the good side of the thing, i attenuated my critique with the idea, consulting CD and book in parallel.  Wink