Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sea shell collection
11-09-2010, 08:44 AM,
Sea shell collection
Dear Collectors,

My friend has been left a shell collection by her husband. I understand that he dived and collected all the shells himself, but that was probably over 30 years ago.

She needs to raise some money and wondered if the collection had any value. There are some large shells that are clearly worth a few pounds as ornaments, but lots of smaller ones: unfortunately we don't know if any of these are special or common.

Please could someone let me know if any of these are unusual or rare. If she can't find something to do with them, then they will probably just go back to the attic for a few more years.

I have put some photos here.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/16232673@N02/5155887601/in/photostream/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/16232673@N ... otostream/</a><!-- m -->

I appreciate that they (the photos, not the shells!) are not very good quality, but if anything looks interesting I could take some more photos.

We live in southampton UK

Many thanks in anticipation

Chris R

11-10-2010, 01:09 AM,
Re: Sea shell collection
Hi Chris, I have had a look through your friends collection and although there are a few scarce ones there (from what I can see) there are no rarities. It is still a very nice collection though. The important thing is do the shells have collection data, i.e. where they were found etc. This is usually kept with each individual shell and is of utmost importance, a shell without data is virtually worthless to a collector.
How much would your friend be after for it (I live in Gravesend, Kent by the way so I could feasibly come and have a look personally) I may even be interested myself as, as I said , there are no rarities there it does contain some nice examples of families I collect and it is always good to have a variety of examples. If you would like to discuss it further my email address is :
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:bug.shell@yahoo.co.uk">bug.shell@yahoo.co.uk</a><!-- e -->.
drop me a line.
Dave