Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need Help With Old Shell Collection.
11-24-2010, 06:46 AM,
Need Help With Old Shell Collection.
Hi
My Grandmother just recently passed away and I inherited here seashell collection. She would buy, sell, collect and make crafts out of them. I use to know some about them when I was a kid during the sixties but I have forgotten most of what I had learned.  I have a few questions to ask if you wouldn’t mind answering. Do you know of a good price guide that would show me what some of these shells would go for? Would the price of a shell change do to when it was collected? Example: A shell taken out of the ocean in the fifties or sixties compared to the same shell taken out today. I have all kinds of coral, seaweed and some sea creatures and I was wondering if I am still allowed to sell them? Any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Howard

11-25-2010, 04:38 AM,
Re: Need Help With Old Shell Collection.
Where do you live Howard? There are certain rules regarding some species in various countries. For example we are not allowed to import or sell coral here in England. A shells age does not matter as long as the colour is not faded, what is important is correct locality data I.e. where the shell was collected.
Dave
11-25-2010, 10:49 AM,
Dave

Thank you for the information. I live in the U.S. Where would I find out the rules for here? In a lot of the shells my Grandmother put a piece of paper with the name of the shell and some of them the location. What do I do if I do not know where the shell is from? Again thanks for the help.

Howard
11-26-2010, 02:50 AM,
Hi Howard, there are lots of shell clubs in the States that would be able to help you. Whereabouts are you? If I know the state and town I may be able to point you in the right direction. A shell without location is not worth very much, nothing you can do about that, it is just a pretty object.  Collectors want shells with good locality data (the name is not so important as this can be found at any time) and in good condition. Tell me where you are and I will see if there is a shell club or someone who can help nearby. I have a lot of contacts in the U.S. and there are more shell collectors and clubs there than you would think.
Cheers,
Dave

11-27-2010, 07:37 AM,
Dave
I live in Forest Grove Oregon. That is just West of Portland Oregon.
Thanks
Howard
11-27-2010, 10:45 AM,
Hi Howard, drop these guys a line, I am sure they will be abler to help.:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.oregonshellclub.com/">http://www.oregonshellclub.com/</a><!-- m -->
Cheers,
Dave
11-28-2010, 02:43 AM,
Dave

Thank you for the website. I will send them an email and see where we go from there.

Howard