Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seashell Collecting Tools Used in Shallow Water
08-27-2010, 10:51 AM,

I love searching for seashells in the ocean.  So many times the shells that are washed up on the beach are broken or badly chipped.  There is nothing better on a warm day than to get your feet in the water and look for seashells.  It helps to go in low tide and on a somewhat calm ocean day.  It is especially good shelling after a storm from a previous day or two.  A little bit of wave action is good though, so the waves bring in the shells toward you.  The tools you need to bring with you are seashell scoop (I use one called the Susick Sea Shell Sifter Scoop) and a mesh bag or bucket to put your shells in.  The other thing you have is a keen eye.  
After you have done shallow water shelling for awhile, you can almost tell what type of shell you have spotted by the way it rolls.  It just catches your eye in a different way.  You will understand what I am talking about once you have done this for awhile.  You then need to react quickly with your seashell scoop in hand to bring up the shells before the waves churn-up the water and you lose sight of it.  Continue to walk along the shoreline because you will be surprised at the different types of species you can scoop up in a day.  It also helps if you can find a beach that isn't too populated.
Once you get your shells home, make sure you clean them properly.  I first rinse them really well in a bucket.  Then I put them in a solution of a little bleach and water.  There are various good online sites that will address this issue.  Also take advantage of the many seashell craft making sites.  Also, make sure you purchase a good book on shells that can identify the species of shells for the particular region you are in.  
Have fun and happy shelling!!!