Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bistolida Stolida and Bistolida Brevidentata
04-25-2010, 01:20 PM,
I think people rely too much on DNA sequencing, it is still not 100% reliable and still has many teething troubles. I have seen similar studies that threw the taxonomy of the families involved right out of the window, showing things that were not possible. I think we have a way to go before DNA sequencing can be relied upon, at the moment it can be a useful tool in taxonomy but only in conjunction with other methods.
Dave

04-25-2010, 03:53 PM,
I've seen that Meyer, after his DNA analysis, writes that Bistolida Brevidentata is genetically = Stolida Stolida. Really it occurs simpatrically with Stolida Crossei that is very different. Infact the intergrades between Brevidentata and Stolida occur in E Africa (Stolida Clavicola). Moreover Meyer consider two taxon of Stolida (Rubiginosa and Clavicola) as valid subspecies.
Don't you think it is quite strange ?
Opinions are appreciated.
06-15-2010, 09:17 AM,
As a 27 year collector that i am , 12 years in Cypraeidae and a marine biologist i think that DNA tests are a demand . About the reasons that drove me quit on collecting Cypraeas it is exactly to be quite confusing, and too much wrong info it is widespread by now .

Just be crictical about every single specimen you see .