Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CYPRAEAS IN PORTUGAL
05-14-2009, 09:05 AM,
CYPRAEAS IN PORTUGAL
I found out this to be an interesting topic to discuss. I had some self experience in the past with two species that are known to exist in these waters. Zonaria pyrum i had the chance to collect two alive specimens. One on the beach after a storm and other offered by a fisherman, at different times.

Besides these two i had the chance to get more , while diving at night , but i just refused to take a single one.

They are very uncommon , darker, and similar to those found in Cadiz.

Another species, much rarer , it is Luria lurida. It can be found in Madeira and Azores Isl. I had the chance to collect one dead specimen in Azores.

The subspecies pulchroides co-exist with the regular species in both localities.

About Erosaria spurca exists in Madeira. From Azores i do not have reliable records.

Finally and not least Cypraea achatidea it is just a legend in these waters. I´ve heard they exist, but i think its some kind of missunderstanding.

In conclusion, i think that Portuguese and Spanish Cypraeidae are scarce, with well delimited populations and much different from eastern mediterranean species.

In terms of comparisson i risk to say that they are so rare around here as Cypraea gracilis it is in Turkey.

Kind regards

JOSE BENTO