Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Triton'sTrumpet
03-22-2009, 06:14 PM,
Triton'sTrumpet
Regarding Triton's Trumpet (Charonia variegata Lamarck-and the related Pacific species): I have heard that these are somewhat endangered and taking live specimens illegal in some places--similar to the Florida no-take law for Strombas Gigas. Anyone have info. on this?

04-13-2009, 02:57 PM,
Triton'sTrumpet
It is the usual situation, overcollecting for the tourist market. There was a time not long ago when anyone going to the Caribbean would bring back a Charonia, always large, mature specimens of course. In the Pacific I believe they are also protected as a predator of the Crown of Thorns starfish which has been decimating the reefs there.
The Queen conch situation makes me laugh, you can not take a specimen from the ocean yourself but the locals collect them by the thousand for bait and the tourist trade.There are islands there that have entire jetties made from queen conch shells and huge piles many feet high. One rule for them and one for us eh?
Dave
04-21-2009, 11:57 AM,
Triton'sTrumpet
Well, I plan a dive trip to Panama this coming Dec. and hope to find a Triton Trumpet there. Dave, as for the Strombus Gigas-- It's all the conch fritters they eat down there! Just like the fishing industry's problems. And a yutz of a collector like me can't take ONE in Florida. Alive OR dead....
04-23-2009, 10:03 AM,
Triton'sTrumpet
In 1999 i have been in Los Roques Islands ; Venezuela. In these islads you´ll find the largest community of Strombus gigas in the caribbean. Since it is a protected area, it is possible to snorkell among hundreds of alive S. gigas. Adults; sub-adults and juveniles all together eating the seaweeds.

I had the intention of taking one for my collection, and i could do it, since anyone cared about.

Local fishermen are allowded collect and trade them, and it was  tremendous to watch piles of them abandoned like garbage.

Happens the same with Strombus pugilis, and this it is getting scarce as well.

So, for what i have seen, it is really a miracle they still exist in nature.

They are really endagered species, and i think one of the few in the CITES list.

04-27-2009, 01:37 PM,
Triton'sTrumpet
"Endangered" doesn't necessarily mean "rare".  It is precisely because Strombus gigas is common that it can easily be harvested by the ton. And it is because it has been harvested faster than it can reproduce itself that its populations have been rapidly decreasing in many parts of its range, which is why it is considered  endangered.  <span class="petit">--Last edited by Paul Monfils on 2009-04-28 03:35:00 --</span>