Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most difficult shell to find
03-16-2009, 11:58 AM,
Hi everyone, I hope you can help me. Im a screen writer. I need to know wich shell could be usefull for my story. I need a very exotic shell thats any easy to find for my scrïpt. Need to be something really hard to get.  Any ideas. Suggestions??? Thanks on advance to all of you collectors!

03-21-2009, 10:28 AM,
Dear friend,

I could suggest enumerous of interesting shells. It comes to my mind a Cypraea onyx forma nymphae. It is the onyx albino form , and i do not recall to ever seen one in 26 years i colect shells.

It is found in N.E. Africa .

Kind regards

Jose Bento
03-21-2009, 05:58 PM,
I think nymphae is the species from the Chagos archipelago, I have seen them for sale but at several hundred dollars each. If you want some thing really rare and hard to get look in the family Pleurotomariidae, the Slit Shells or one of the cowries of the genus Zoila.
Dave
03-22-2009, 01:13 PM,
could add some volutes, namely some sub and antartic species, such as Provocator pulcher ( Kerguelen and Heard Isl. ) .

However there is one species that always grabed my attention - Subpterynotus exquisitus Sowerby,1903 from W.Africa . 3 specimens known to science in 1983. Since then i had no other reliable records.  

I take the chance to ask if anybody knows something about this species ? It is a living myth to me , let me tell you. I never have seen it on the market, nothing...

Kind regards

JOSE BENTO

03-22-2009, 04:00 PM,
What do you know about sinistral Strombus Gigas?? Are there  some theories about why wright handed shells sometimes grow the left handed? Is a lefth handed strombus gigas exotic enought for  a character to be seacking it kind of obsesibly?
THNKS To ALL OF YOU SPECIALLY THE ONES WHO HAVE  HELPED!!!!!
03-22-2009, 04:47 PM,
As far as I am aware there is no left handed Strombus gigas in existence. The reason some normally dextrous (right-handed) shells go the wrong way is due to a trauma or disease when they are in the larval stage, this causes the shell to undergo tortion in the opposite direction during the protoconch stage.
Dave
03-25-2009, 03:16 PM,
Thank a lot Dave for your answer ! Ill keep all of you guys in contact!

04-11-2009, 07:20 PM,
You can't really call those rare or special though could you?
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM,
But again not rare.