Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with Shell collection
02-23-2009, 06:45 PM,
I received my grandparents seashell collection when they passed away. I have no clue what to do with them now and they are just sitting in there house. I would like to sell them off but there are probably close to 5000 shells in this collection. Since I don't know anything about shells I don't know where to start with how to go about selling these shells. I know my grandmother bought a lot of her shells from Richard M. Kurz but found out he passed away in 2008. Can anyone help me in figuring out what to do to get started? Thanks

02-24-2009, 09:00 AM,
Where are you located?
02-24-2009, 10:21 AM,
The seashells are in Kansas City.
03-05-2009, 12:29 PM,
Hi, just joined, and saw your post, I am in a similar position, only their my own collection, haven't touched them since 1997, but I due have do have some knowlege if I can just get the brain in remember mode. Now to your proplem, first thing is to see if she had and good shell books, if not I would recomend R. Tucker Abbotts, Compendium of Seashells, Its not cheap but well worth the price. Take whatever time you can and identfy the shell read the discrïption and mark the page list how many etc.  Don't sell them without knowing what your selling, there are some shells that are worth thousands. Its not an easy task, but you might find you fall in love with them and only part with the extras, then again you may find a jewel to sell.  If your interested I can give you info. to get pricing. Good Luck  

If anyone out there knows of softwear with the shells already listed for inventory please let me know. Milpen or email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:mp1601@live.com">mp1601@live.com</a><!-- e --> I would greatly appreciate it. I really need to inventory thousands of specimen shell i collected during 15yrs of owning a shell shop. It's prety sad that I've lost this knowlege. I'm trying to get it back, thanks in advance for any help.

04-13-2009, 03:02 PM,
Milpen, the only thing I know thatcomes near to what you want is Tom Rice's catalogue of shells with prices (Rice's prices). I believe he still puts one out now and again.
Dave