Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Information about Cypraea pyrum and spurca Habitat
09-21-2008, 10:39 AM,
Information about Cypraea pyrum and spurca Habitat
About the mediterranean i dont know the habitat. If you are interested in i can provide some information about the portuguese pyrum. It is much rarer; harder to find and much darker than the med ones.  I found them during the night , snorkelling at 3 meters depth. The mant is translucid when you point the flashlight and black during day light.

About the feeding habits, a friend of mine kept some five specimens alive inside an aquarium for severall months. They handled quite well ; hidding during the day light inside small holes and feeding on whatever they found on the bottom and even attached themselves to the aquarium wall on a attempt to feed on the algae .

Detritivorous for sure. What kind of algae i really dont know , but that might explain the differences between different colonies.

Personally besides the portuguese i have also specimens from Spain ; Tunisia ; Greece and Italy and they are all different.

Kind regards

Jose Bento ( Portugal )

Messages In This Thread
Information about Cypraea pyrum and spurca Habitat - by pilsbryi - 09-21-2008, 10:39 AM