Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Divers and Collectors
02-12-2008, 10:54 AM,
Divers and Collectors
I need some collectors' viewpoints. I belong to several Scuba forums and ask about live shell collecting laws, charter boats that permit it, etc. Many divers feel the need to reply by not answering my question, but by giving it to me in the neck about the terrible thing we collectors do. Collect and KILL live shells. Is this just the view of the typical diver? Has anyone noticed this with people other than divers?

02-13-2008, 11:43 AM,
Divers and Collectors
Hi Tom,
I have never had this from people when they see my shell collection but I also collect butterflies and moths and frequently get told how cruel I am. They don't like it when I explain that killing a butterfly is no different to squashing a mosquito that is biting you or swatting a fly. They hate it even more when I tell them that flies are more useful than butterflies.
What about the people who collect and kill live shells for food, I am not talking about a Pacific Islander who considers shellfish a part of his natural diet,I am talking about oyster farmers for instance who send hundreds of them to their deaths by rich people eating them. And what about the pearl fisheries? And then the shell is thrown away, at least we have something to show for our hobby.
Dave
02-15-2008, 06:34 PM,
Divers and Collectors
Dear Tom,

Effectively, killing live animals (even mollusks) just to keep a "trophy" (the shell) is a bad thing. I guess you know that. I do collect and I do pick up live seahshells even if i prefer collecting dead ones. But I know it's bad. especially while scuba as it is worldwide forbidden. So I think that talking about shells in scuba forum is not a good idea at all. Avoid these forums if you need to talk about shells. I usually when I meet people, avoid to talk about my collection as killing shells is not a thing that we can be proud of.

Here is my point of view
DAVID
02-17-2008, 07:05 PM,
Divers and Collectors
HI Tom
I find myself in the uncomfortable position of supporting the collection of live mollusks. If we're defending not killing as an idea of god or some ethical imperative then Ihave nothing to say. That is a personal matter for the collector. But strictly in terms of collecting I would remind people that the number of shell collectors world wide is miniscule compared to the entire population. The pressure put on any mollusk population by diving, dredging or snorkeling is simply not that great. Further many collectors are interested in not just having a pretty shiny shell but in knowing about the animals. it's habitat, it's range.
I will not sit here and defend the harvesting of barrels full of examples that are displayed at tourist traps. (Wonder what the tourists would say if they found out all those Florida shells were actually from the Philippines). Responsible collecting for dealers certainly puts no strain on poplulations. I know of one dealer who was offered a thousand Cypraea guttata for five dollars apiece. so there are certainly irresponsible people out there straining population levels. But finally ,responsible collecting of live animals is not ecologically irresponsible
and serves to aid accumulating scientific data.
Gary

04-07-2008, 06:37 PM,
Divers and Collectors
Dear Gary,

Thanks for your point of view. A totally agree with you concerning collector pressure. Effectively only mass shelling in order to shell the shells can be dangerous for the habitat, especially when habitat is destroyed (even dead coral plates that are left upside down). For one shell found, 10 or more in the same area are still hidden... Over-collecting is not the goal of collectors !

Happy Responsible Shelling,
DAVID