Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you take specimen's grade serious?
05-26-2009, 09:36 AM,
Do you take specimen's grade serious?
As a shell dealer, I am trying to give the most accurate grade of the specimen, but I don't believe that the grade will always be accepted by collectors.

I've read an article about how grade system was created, that was in the age of price list and/or catalogue. Before the internet age, I believe grade was a standard practice among shell dealers, otherwise they have to print a lot of photo pictures at expensive cost. The grade system for specimen shells is similar to grade in gem and jewelry market.

Today we have world wide web rich media at very low cost, shell dealers can display photo pictures as many as they want, and also able to communicate with collectors through email or chat online. This can help collectors inspect and check the specimens more effective than in the past.

Anyway, the grade is a traditional option about describing a specimen and people still feel like to have it label with the selling shell. However, I don't think the collectors will always agree with dealer when they opened the box.

I'd like to hear what collectors expect about grade.

Messages In This Thread
Do you take specimen's grade serious? - by pichest - 05-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Do you take specimen's grade serious? - by dave r - 05-28-2009, 11:13 AM