Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to shelling, need IDs please
12-01-2011, 04:45 PM,
Re: New to shelling, need IDs please
Wow, thank you so much again for your response!  I am a mineral and fossil collector at heart, only getting involved with shells the last few months, and it is VASTLY more difficult than minerals!  I honestly had no idea that there would be so many without common names, and latin is not exactly an easy language to remember!

I've been very fortunate to be invited on my very first collecting trip with a friend of mine who is a longtime gem/fossil/shell collector and dealer.  We hope to go all along the east coast of the US, to Florida and maybe even further if lucky.  We'll be collecting minerals, fossils and of course shells, and might be out for several months.  It'll be a fantastic opportunity to learn as a beginner  8)  I can only imagine how long people like yourself have been at this to have such vast knowledge of so many species so easily!

And thanks for the picture complement, my camera is actually a complete piece of crap that I hope to replace very soon.  It takes far too much effort to get pictures worth posting, and that's only after being edited first.  You wouldn't believe how many bad shots it takes to get a good one  Tongue  I'm no photographer by any means.

There are a few more specimens I forgot to ask you about, so I do hope you'll not mind helping with them when I get them posted tomorrow. 

*gives you a cookie for your help, everyone loves cookies* ;D

(edit:  i just realized that you originally said the one was "Nassarius dorsatus" and in my reply I asked for common name of "Nassarius luridus" instead.  I have no idea how that happened...
Also, you said that the Tegula viridula can be "greenish top shell", but wiki has it as a turbin shell?)
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wateryworld/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/wateryworld/</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread
New to shelling, need IDs please - by wateryworld - 12-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Re: New to shelling, need IDs please - by wateryworld - 12-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Re: New to shelling, need IDs please - by wolfi - 12-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Re: New to shelling, need IDs please - by wolfi - 12-03-2011, 04:47 AM
Re: New to shelling, need IDs please - by wolfi - 12-03-2011, 05:53 AM