Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conus (Stephanoconus) zonatus: Conoidea: Conidae
08-03-2017, 05:01 AM,
RE: Conus (Stephanoconus?) zonatus: Conoidea: Conidae
(08-02-2017, 03:12 PM)david touitou Wrote: Hello,

I recently traveled to Maldives. I found several in shallow water (see attachment). This shell is very close to Conus (Stephanoconus) imperialis Linnaeus, 1758. Shell is very close in shape and the spire is also very close to. The pattern of course not. The animal has a very close color, a litlle darker than imperialis. They move on the seabed the same way and the habitat is exactly the same. So I guess it belongs to the Stephanoconus if imperialis has the right subgenus ^^

Bye,
DAVID

[Image: mini_345376zonatus.jpg]

Attached are rough pix of a shell that I bought from Rick Negus with the label Rhombiconus zonatus. According to WoRMS that should be Stephanoconus. I am looking at specimens of Conus (Stephanoconus) imperialis imperialis & Conus (Stephanoconus) imperialis compactus & they appear almost identical to my Rhombiconus zonatus in every regard except for the reddish pigment lines around the shell barrel. So I agree with your conclusion.

Beautiful shells you brought back!

Jack

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Conus (Stephanoconus?) zonatus: Conoidea: Conidae - by JackSullivan - 08-03-2017, 05:01 AM