Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thatcheria mirabilis: Conoidea: Raphitomidae
06-16-2017, 09:39 AM,
RE: Thatcheria mirabilis
(06-16-2017, 03:46 AM)JackSullivan Wrote: Looked on as a weird mutant or monstrosity when first discovered in the 19th century, Thatcheria mirabilis (Thatcher's miracle shell iow), this critter's shell caught my eye when I came across at least 3 of them on eBay while hunting for examples of Raphitomidae. Originally very rare apparently due to deep water habit & therefore expensive, increasing stocks have dropped the price to more reasonable levels.

Of the 2 I bought, one is colored a bright yellow while the other shows only faint hints of that color. Both are from the western Pacific in the Japan-Taiwan areas. One is 67mm & the other is 70mm.

Jack

I found a 3rd example of this 'miracle cone' from a seller in HI that I've done business with, so I picked it up along with 2 species of Conus that are new for me: ebraeus & genuanus. There's another up for eBay auction in Russia but they state delivery lead time is 2 months. I've had no problems buying from sellers in the PI, Singapore & Poland, but I will pass on this one. Length = 68.6mm. Color is midway between the 2 examples posted earlier. One or 2 of these may be available in the future for trade.

Jack

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thatcheria mirabilis - by JackSullivan - 06-16-2017, 09:39 AM
RE: Thatcheria mirabilis - by JackSullivan - 06-19-2017, 10:43 AM
RE: Thatcheria mirabilis - by JackSullivan - 06-20-2017, 07:47 AM