Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shell collecting can be an illegal activity these days?Exaggerated laws in my opinion
09-02-2017, 03:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-02-2017, 03:51 PM by david touitou.)
RE: Shell collecting can be an illegal activity these days?Exaggerated laws in my opinion
Hello,

It's difficult to judge any regulation. Your wonderful country have a real bad history about shell & fish hunting. A lot of habitats have been destroyed by the use of explosives and the ignorance of some basis of collecting (I mean for example, turning back dead corals after searching under,...). The authorities have since trying to make big efforts to change mentalities and it's very good for you and your childrens' future.

Here, in France where I live, it's strictly forbbiden to collect any cowrie (we have 3 species). Why ? No reason. Two of the 2 species are really common and cannot disappear by overcollecting here.

Some countries prohibit the shell collecting at all.

Philippines waters are very rich and the biodiversity is awesome, it has to be protected. Overcollecting is a threat and the destruction of habitats is again a much bigger threat.

I agree with you about making the difference between dead coral found on the beach and live coral taken in the sea though.

All the best
DAVID

Messages In This Thread
RE: Shell collec - by waltb887 - 01-25-2017, 09:07 PM
RE: Shell collecting can be an illegal activity these days?Exaggerated laws in my opinion - by david touitou - 09-02-2017, 03:51 PM