Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you organize your collection?
06-01-2017, 04:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-01-2017, 06:02 AM by JackSullivan. Edit Reason: more stuff )
RE: How do you organize your collection?
I spent a lot of time trying to identify the right make of multi-compartment box for my shell collection. I finally found the Zoro Model G4272755 12-compartment box clear plastic box with dual snap closures. Here are the dimensions: 13-1/8" W x 9" L x 2-5/16" H. Each compartment can fit a shell up to 104mm long & 55mm across, so they fit most of my Conus collection with no problem. Here is the URL for this box: https://www.zoro.com/durham-compartment-.../G4272755/ If you buy over $50 worth (8 pieces) they give you free shipping.

I used to collect war surplus military electronics gear, so my large finished basement walls are lined with wide plywood shelves that I had built from 0.5 inch plywood sheets, 2x4"s & plastic sawhorses. The Zoro boxes are stacked along the wall 5 high, in alphabetical sequence, which gives me plenty of room in front for unpacking shipments, measuring shells, checking references, etc. The boxes are not in direct sun light & I maintain a constant 45% RH. I use surgical tape labels on the front of each box with the name of the Tucker & Tonorio subgenus written on it in black marker (Conus, Cylinder, Phasmoconus, etc).

I have over 100 species & quite a few multiples of given species that I will use for either trading or selling in my eBay store. I currently have 35 Zoro boxes. Some, like Pionoconus, fill more than one box, which can fit as many as 35-45 smaller shells. Each shell is in a ULINE ziplock plastic bag to protect it from the air, along with its label.

As my main interest is in studying the biology & evolution of the Conoidea, I have begun collecting shells from the Terebridae & Turridae families within that superfamily or suborder: Gemmula, Terebra, etc. These are of great interest to me as they have a common peptide venom & delivery system & likely evolved from common ancestors.

Jack

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do you organize your collection? - by JackSullivan - 06-01-2017, 04:58 AM