Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conus ''Curiousity''
03-06-2012, 09:32 PM,
Conus ''Curiousity''
Hello collectors,
I have here a 3 conus specie,One is C.chaldeus, other one is C.ebraeus, and a curious conus one which is i would like to know what specie is,....
I have something weird question if i may.... and i think it is a weird discussion to open up...
Is there a possibility to have a ''CROSSBREED OR INTERBREED" between a same genus in a specie?  I ask this because it seems the curious cone is somewhat looks like one, if you carefully examine the 3 cones it seems possible...I know that lots of collectors out there is also interested to know if there such a thing. So i am asking all to give your own opinion regarding this....

[Image: 9350270.jpg]
C.chaldeus
[Image: 5611966.jpg]
Curious cone? need to id.
[Image: 7538016.jpg]
C.ebraeus

Thanks in advance. Happy shelling,
Diocris.

03-08-2012, 10:57 AM,
Re: Conus ''Curiousity''
In my opinion it is just an oddly marked ebraeus, teh shell shape is definitely of that species and I have seen ones marked like that myself.
03-11-2012, 06:55 AM,
Thanks Dave for the id...... But Is it possible to happen a "crossbreeding" in a seashell ? I know for sure in some mammals it could... any opinion coming from you ? If you please.

Thanks.
03-11-2012, 12:19 PM,
Yes, it certainly happens often in Cowries, I have an example myself of a moneta X annulus. I can't say for other shells as I have only seen examples of Strombidae that have crossbred.

03-12-2012, 05:23 AM,
That is a very interesting input.....many thanks Dave.... it ads to my simple knowledge Wink

Diocris.
03-25-2013, 08:02 AM,
Hello collectors,

This topic is more than a year past. but it gave me more curiousity. so i re open this topic because of this photo from gastropod.com, i just recently visit the site.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.gastropods.com/8/Shell_27698.shtml">http://www.gastropods.com/8/Shell_27698.shtml</a><!-- m -->

i just want to ask any opinion if i am correct identifying the ''curious cone''(Virroconus judaeus).

thanks.
03-27-2013, 10:33 AM,
Hi Diocris, C. judaeus is an interesting shell. Most people think that a C. ebraeus with a little pink on the background and different markings is this species, but ebraeus can look identical. They can only be reliably told apart by examination of the soft parts. it doesn't necessarily mean yours is not judaeus, but there is no real way of telling without the animal.

04-01-2013, 05:57 AM,
Hello Dave,
i guess your right. its really impossible to distinguish this shell now. it is more than 20 years ago when i catch this shell.... i cant imagine if there's still remaining soft parts of the animal inside... i guess it will still labeled as ''curious cone'' 

Many thanks,
Diocris,