Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last One
02-19-2019, 02:18 AM,
Last One
This snail was photographed in a shallow estuary on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts. Sitting on an Eastern Oyster, usually indicates that it is an Atlantic Oyster Drill (Urosalpinx cinerea) and I've seen many. This one however struck me as different, but I could be off-base. I've had suggestions of a Waved Whelk (Buccinum undatum) or a Thick Lipped Oyster Drill (Eupleura caudata). Clearly I'm no expert, nor were the people venturing guesses. Anyone feel like helping me out or at least narrowing it down? Many thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

02-19-2019, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM by paul monfils.)
RE: Last One
If I didn't know where this shell was from, there would be many possibilities, especially since the picture is not very sharp. However, I live in the northeastern United States, and I am confident this is my local Urosalpinx cinerea, a species I have collected many specimens of. Eupleura caudata (also local) is quite different in shape, more depressed, with sharp varicies. And Buccinum undatum is more inflated, and is almost never found intertidally. It is a deep water species.
02-19-2019, 08:42 AM,
RE: Last One
(02-19-2019, 07:19 AM)paul monfils Wrote: If I didn't know where this shell was from, there would be many possibilities, especially since the picture is not very sharp. However, I live in the northeastern United States, and I am confident this is my local Urosalpinx cinerea, a species I have collected many specimens of. Eupleura caudata (also local) is quite different in shape, more depressed, with sharp varicies. And Buccinum undatum is more inflated, and is almost never found intertidally. It is a deep water species.

Makes sense Paul. I remembered that was where you from and figured you'd have some insight. We go to Cape Cod every September and love snorkelling there, although water quality is never optimum like the Caribbean. Found some amazing shells!! I am most appreciative for the help. Thanks again.