Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thatcheria mirabilis: Conoidea: Raphitomidae
06-16-2017, 03:46 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2017, 04:26 AM by JackSullivan.)
Thatcheria mirabilis: Conoidea: Raphitomidae
Looked on as a weird mutant or monstrosity when first discovered in the 19th century, Thatcheria mirabilis (Thatcher's miracle shell iow), this critter's shell caught my eye when I came across at least 3 of them on eBay while hunting for examples of Raphitomidae. Originally very rare apparently due to deep water habit & therefore expensive, increasing stocks have dropped the price to more reasonable levels.

Of the 2 I bought, one is colored a bright yellow while the other shows only faint hints of that color. Both are from the western Pacific in the Japan-Taiwan areas. One is 67mm & the other is 70mm.

As an interesting side note, the bright yellow pigmentation as well as the lesser pigmentation on the other specimens is likely caused by the polymeric pigment pheomelanin, which can exhibit colors ranging from yellow to orange to red. It is produced in the secretory cells at the edge of the shell's mantle from the commonly occurring amino acids phenylalanine > tyrosine > DOPA & cysteine. Tyrosine is also responsible for producing the brown-black pigment eumelanin in the absence of cysteine. Lack of tyrosine or a mutation in the enzyme tyrosinase are the causes of albinism in shells.

Jack

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06-16-2017, 09:39 AM,
RE: Thatcheria mirabilis
(06-16-2017, 03:46 AM)JackSullivan Wrote: Looked on as a weird mutant or monstrosity when first discovered in the 19th century, Thatcheria mirabilis (Thatcher's miracle shell iow), this critter's shell caught my eye when I came across at least 3 of them on eBay while hunting for examples of Raphitomidae. Originally very rare apparently due to deep water habit & therefore expensive, increasing stocks have dropped the price to more reasonable levels.

Of the 2 I bought, one is colored a bright yellow while the other shows only faint hints of that color. Both are from the western Pacific in the Japan-Taiwan areas. One is 67mm & the other is 70mm.

Jack

I found a 3rd example of this 'miracle cone' from a seller in HI that I've done business with, so I picked it up along with 2 species of Conus that are new for me: ebraeus & genuanus. There's another up for eBay auction in Russia but they state delivery lead time is 2 months. I've had no problems buying from sellers in the PI, Singapore & Poland, but I will pass on this one. Length = 68.6mm. Color is midway between the 2 examples posted earlier. One or 2 of these may be available in the future for trade.

Jack

06-19-2017, 10:43 AM,
Here are pix of example #4 in my collection. Length is 64mm. Only label data is 'Deep water, China'.

Jack

06-20-2017, 07:47 AM,
Specimen #5 of my favorite shell: 78mm from deep waters off Japan.