Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few More From Cuba
03-31-2015, 03:06 AM,
A Few More From Cuba
All of these were collected from Playa Pesquero at Holguin, Cuba. Can anyone help me pin down an ID? Many thanks....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

03-31-2015, 03:50 AM,
RE: A Few More From Cuba
Hi Jeff,
a little bit tricky......... . It's often helpful to know the size of the specimens to narrow it down and it's difficult to determine the species with only one view. In your case, I need an interior view of the shell too, to be sure, but I know, it's difficult if you have a living animal attached to a stone.
Nevertheless, I think #5 might be Eoacmaea pustulata (Helbling, 1779) - Acmaeidae. Perhaps you can compare your pictures with pics from the internet. I have many specimens of this species here at home from the Atlantic coast of Mexico, and your specimens look very similar.
#3 and #4 are even more complicated (at least for me.....). It might (!) be Fissurella barbadensis (Gmelin, 1791) - Fissurellidae. The interior of the empty shell should be green. But that's only a guess........ .
Sorry, that's all I can tell on the basis of your pictures. The cracks here will tell you more and better...... .
Kind regards: wolf

03-31-2015, 04:25 AM,
RE: A Few More From Cuba
Wolfi, can't thank you enough for your feedback. Great point regarding providing the size and an interior view. the first two species, were indeed attached to the rock, while the last one was not. I shall do some investigating, regarding your suggested ID's. Thanks again, Jeff