Forums SEASHELL-COLLECTOR
Opinions Anyone? - Printable Version

+- Forums SEASHELL-COLLECTOR (http://forum.seashell-collector.com)
+-- Forum: Seashell Collector's Forum (http://forum.seashell-collector.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Shells identification Help (http://forum.seashell-collector.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Opinions Anyone? (/showthread.php?tid=13181)

Pages: 1 2

Opinions Anyone? - Jeff D - 03-26-2015

I found a group of these shells (with slugs inside), nestled among chitons in a rocky tidal zone area at the Barcelo Maya in Mexico. Can anyone help?

RE: Opinions Anyone? - david touitou - 03-27-2015

Hello, 

The problem is that these shells have crusted algae or coral on them and we cannot see the "real shell" under this crust...

DAVID

RE: Opinions Anyone? - Jeff D - 03-27-2015

That never crossed my mind, but makes perfect sense....can't thank you enough for the feedback.

RE: Opinions Anyone? - david touitou - 03-27-2015

No problem, sorry I can't help you more...
 DAVID

RE: Opinions Anyone? - Jeff D - 03-27-2015

No worries....in the next day or so, I may have one or two more puzzlers. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

RE: Opinions Anyone? - Bence Cs. - 03-28-2015

(03-26-2015, 10:28 AM)Jeff D Wrote: I found a group of these shells (with slugs inside), nestled among chitons in a rocky tidal zone area at the Barcelo Maya in Mexico. Can anyone help?

Hello,

I'm not sure, but I think this isn't the shell of a Gastropoda (snail) or a Bivalve (clam) species.
I think it's an external "skeleton" from the phylum Echinodermata (echinoderm) and class Echinoidea (sea urchin)
Have you seen a hole (its mouth) on the "belly" of the animal?

I hope I helped,
Bence

RE: Opinions Anyone? - Bence Cs. - 03-28-2015

Oh and one more question:
was its entire body in the water?
If it was, it's possible that it's a Porifera (sponge) species rather than a sea urchin.

RE: Opinions Anyone? - Jeff D - 03-28-2015

Pried if off the rock and it definitely had a slug inside....it had a hard shell exterior and there were some both above and below the water line, as the tides came in and receded.

RE: Opinions Anyone? - paul monfils - 03-28-2015

(03-26-2015, 10:28 AM)Jeff D Wrote: I found a group of these shells (with slugs inside), nestled among chitons in a rocky tidal zone area at the Barcelo Maya in Mexico. Can anyone help?

Given the general shape, size, and habitat, these most likely belong to either the Family Trochidae, or the family Littorinidae.  There are several species from each family which live in this kind of habitat, in this geographical area.  If you brought any of these home, you could soak one in bleach solution and perhaps remove enough encrustation to reveal some details of its structure, color, etc.

RE: Opinions Anyone? - Jeff D - 03-28-2015

That is something that I might do, although I really do like the current colour it has.... I really appreciate you narrowing it down for me Paul. Thanks again.