Forums SEASHELL-COLLECTOR

Full Version: Shell collection that needs a new home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I hope i'm in the right place for some help.

My Nana is moving into sheltered accomodation and needs to dispose of her shell collection. Her main stipulation is that it goes to someone who will get as much pleasure out of them as she does.

I've taken a load of photo's to try to show them all. She does have a cataolgue of about 800 or so as to what they are, when and where they are from and when she got them etc. I dont think this covers them all, or if they are fully accurate. She is into her late 80's now and cant really cope with too much hassle.

I'm in the process of uploading the photo's i took of them laid out in the conservatory.

can anyone hlpe as to what's the best way to sell them, are perhaps what the collection might be worth?

there is a small collection of land snail shell, and coral/startfish etc at the end if they are any use for anyone?

thanks,

Martin
Here's a link to the pictures. It starts with the coral etc, but then goes on to her shells.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/b16mts/Shells/">http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/b16mts/Shells/</a><!-- m -->

thanks,

Martin
Hi Martin,
that is a very nice collection there, some nice shells but I have looked closely at the photos and there are no rarities.
There are a couple of things I could say. First, is there any data with the shells? Any labels to go with them? Without such data they are worthless to a collector. Just worth a few quid as pretty objects.
Secondly the Giant clams are protected from Sale by the CITES agreement so you can not sell them. You could however 'give them away' with the rest of the collection. Wink
Where abouts are you? I assume you are in the U.K. I live just outside London so I may be able to help, but only if they have good data labels.
Cheers,
Dave
Hi Martin, how are things going?