Forums SEASHELL-COLLECTOR

Full Version: tiny mussel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello collectors,
can you please help me identify this unknown mussel ? i found this attached to a limestone rock near the intertidal zone. the size is 10 - 15 mm. from Philippines.

[Image: 4953337.jpg]

many thanks.
Could be Septifer excisus, though the umbos do appear to be more hooked than is usually seen in that species.
Hi Paul,
You might be right on Septifer but i am not convince it is an excisus, the mussel i post doesnt have any riblets on the body, only growth lines and somehow smoother body, i think i have Septifer excisus in my collection and i compared it  (it doesnt match at all).... i'll try to search more on this on other websites, i might  find it in femorale ( i hope so) But thanks any way, you give me an info regarding Septifer specie.
I added 2 more photos on this topic.... on my search for the name of this mussel and it amazed me as i look on the characteristic of Stavelia subdistorta, they have some similarity except for the size, S. subdistorta is huge compare to this mussel which is less than 15mm.
I might think this are baby Stavelia subdistorta, the only doubt i have is they are look already matured in their size and characters...
any idea ?
[Image: 4332063.jpg][Image: 2442994.jpg]
Hi,
I believe it is an Isognomon (Isognomonidae) specie which more related to oysters. The view of the inside of the valve should show a few equal crenelated "tooth".
Perhaps Isognomon maillardi where in some place it grows by hundreds but seldom seen in ornemental collections.
Pierre
Hello Pierre,
You are correct ! it is Isognomonidae specie, it might be I. nucleus (Lamarck, 1819) which is found in Philippines or it could be I. acutirostris (Dunker, 1812) which can be found in E.asia - W. Pacific. I.nucleus size range is 15mm. & I.acutirostris is 17mm. this 2 might be one of the specie i've post, I just need more help in distinguishing this two specie, i cant determine if the crenelated tooth are determining factors to identify this specie.

Here are two photo samples of the one i post :
[Image: 7941458.jpg]

[Image: 940554.jpg]

Diocris.
Hi Diocris, I am afraid i cant help further. Good luck.
Hi Pierre,
Thank you for your reply, Well, i guess i could label it on which the nearest Isognomonidae specie it might look, and that might be I. acutirostris.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.idscaro.net/sci/01_coll/plates/bival/pl_isognomonidae_1.htm">http://www.idscaro.net/sci/01_coll/plat ... idae_1.htm</a><!-- m -->

Diocris,