Forums SEASHELL-COLLECTOR

Full Version: Another cones need to id.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi ! here are another cones need to id (from philippine sea). And please id this, i need to know their names. :-[
Here is the link:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/63645283@N06/sets/72157626937932044/">http://www.flickr.com/photos/63645283@N ... 937932044/</a><!-- m -->

Many thanks!
The white shell is Conus eburneus. The small one is a rolled specimen. That one is hard to identify. It could be a juvenile or a specimen of Conus musicus. The latter can come up with this kind of red and white pattern.
Hello conpa,
many thanks for your reply but i dont think it is lithoconus eburneus, i compare the conus eburneus to my specie but there are lots of differences. for the past few days i research the internet, and in Eddie Hardy s Internet to Marine Gastropods i found some cones that looks like mine. the problem is i dont know the locality of each species. for instance the asprella nigromaculata, leptoconus aureolus, phasmoconus angioiorum, phasmoconus zapatosensis (this one is from negros island philippines, but it is far enough to where i found my specie). all this species are somehow similar to the one i post.
        the small specie with an orange and white colors is very far from c. musicus, c. musicus is very common here and i have lots of them from juvenile to the very adult form. it is somehow similar to conus (magelliconus) kirkandersi, but again, the size and locality, i dont know.  my specie is a beach specimen and the aperture is damage.

if someone else says you are right in identifying my specie then i will gratefully accept it. Smile

The white shell is definitely eburneus, it is the wrong shape and has the wrong spots for any of the others you mention. As to the other, it  really is too worn to identify, in that condition it could be one of many species. If I were to hazard a guess I woud say something like striatellus or circumactus, onre of that complex of cones. But as I said it is really too worn and also very juvenile.
Dave