Forums SEASHELL-COLLECTOR

Full Version: Last One from Holguin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This ID may be a little tougher, as my pics are not near as good. I'm attaching several, in hopes that someone can help me out. In some pics, there are two main subjects. I believe that one is the Long-Spined Star Snail (Astraea phoebia), but it's the other, that is confusing to me. In my mind, it could be either the Common Prickly Winkle (Echinolittorina tuberculata) or the False Prickly Winkle (Tectarius antonii)? I'm not sure if any of the pics that I have provided, are suitable to differentiate or suggest an alternate ID. I would be quite grateful, if anyone would consider sharing an opinion. Thx, Jeff
Hi Jeff,

These appear to be Tectarius antonii, based on the broadly triangular outline of the shell, and numerous sharp nodules arranged in two main rows. Echinolittorina tuberculata is about the same size, but more slender in overall shape, and has multiple rows of smaller, rounded nodules.
Thanks for coming through for me Paul. Your assistance is greatly appreciated!!