Forums SEASHELL-COLLECTOR

Full Version: Shell collecting can be an illegal activity these days?Exaggerated laws in my opinion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum. at the moment I'm living in the Philippines and I'm a amazed at the pieces & the beauty of small and big shells and dead corals that i find in the island where i am living. shells & corals of all kinds , of all sizes brought by the sea directly to shore.....here in pic im showing some shells in particular Tridacna Squamosa , officially endangered and on the shell prohibited list ( i discovered after) . CITES however permits the importation of tridacna (no more than 3 per person) Look in other pictures what the municipality of the place where i am living does with tridacna squamosa. they use it to decorate boardwalks, gardens etc , they also eat the meat of this shell on a regular basis (never eaten it but i ve been offered to buy it for a bit more than 1 US $ each and im sure the price was inflated). there are officially very harsh regulations in place in the Philippines that make no distinctions apparently between coral and shell poachers and a beachcomber. i found laws by browsing online that punish the collection of this kind of shells and 20 + other types with up to 20 yrs in prison and big fines?? really? and for corals(even dead) fines are huge on the paper and prison penalties are even higher. i think a distinction and allowance must be made by the government avoiding to punish seashell collectors and beachcombers and maybe putting a limit of i dont know 10 kg of stuff. somewhere i had read that this distintction had been made but i found no evidence of that.
I think the laws in place are exaggerated and risky for the beachcomber only to find they indeed sell coral neckalces in shops at malls all over the Philippines and the officially forbidden shells too. remember that possession of corals(live, dead, even rocks, even farmed) is illegal in the philippines unless you hold a scientist permit so why do they sell corals in shops? hypocrisy, lol. I was thinking of bringing a few shells to my home country when i go there but i dont want to feel hostage of government officials here. in my opinion , maybe i go against the "politically correct" wave this is exaggerated. shell collecting (even on the beach) is nice and harmless to nature. there are millions of these shells here literally, even the ones the government wants to make you believe that they are endangered. anyway let me know if you want what you think about this, i like my shells Smile
(01-25-2017, 09:06 PM)waltb887 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everybody, I'm new to this forum. at the moment I'm living in the Philippines and I'm a amazed at the pieces & the beauty of small and big shells and dead corals that i find in the island where i am living. shells & corals of all kinds , of all sizes brought by the sea directly to shore.....here in pic im showing some shells in particular Tridacna Squamosa , officially endangered and on the shell prohibited list ( i discovered after) . CITES however permits the importation of tridacna (no more than 3 per person) Look in other pictures what the municipality of the place where i am living does with tridacna squamosa. they use it to decorate boardwalks, gardens etc , they also eat the meat of this shell on a regular basis (never eaten it but i ve been offered to buy it for a bit more than 1 US $ each and im sure the price was inflated). there are officially very harsh regulations in place in the Philippines that make no distinctions apparently between coral and shell poachers and a beachcomber. i found laws by browsing online that punish the collection of this kind of shells and 20 + other types with up to 20 yrs in prison and big fines?? really? and for corals(even dead) fines are huge on the paper and prison penalties are even higher. i think a distinction and allowance must be made by the government avoiding to punish seashell collectors and beachcombers and maybe putting a limit of i dont know 10 kg of stuff. somewhere i had read that this distintction had been made but i found no evidence of that.
I think the laws in place are exaggerated and risky for the beachcomber only to find they indeed sell coral neckalces in shops at malls all over the Philippines and the officially forbidden shells too. remember that possession of corals(live, dead, even rocks, even farmed) is illegal in the philippines unless you hold a scientist permit so why do they sell corals in shops? hypocrisy, lol. I was thinking of bringing a few shells to my home country when i go there but i dont want to feel hostage of government officials here. in my opinion , maybe i go against the "politically correct" wave this is exaggerated. shell collecting (even on the beach) is nice and harmless to nature. there are millions of these shells here literally, even the ones the government wants to make you believe that they are endangered. anyway let me know if you want what you think about this, i like my shells Smile
Hello,

It's difficult to judge any regulation. Your wonderful country have a real bad history about shell & fish hunting. A lot of habitats have been destroyed by the use of explosives and the ignorance of some basis of collecting (I mean for example, turning back dead corals after searching under,...). The authorities have since trying to make big efforts to change mentalities and it's very good for you and your childrens' future.

Here, in France where I live, it's strictly forbbiden to collect any cowrie (we have 3 species). Why ? No reason. Two of the 2 species are really common and cannot disappear by overcollecting here.

Some countries prohibit the shell collecting at all.

Philippines waters are very rich and the biodiversity is awesome, it has to be protected. Overcollecting is a threat and the destruction of habitats is again a much bigger threat.

I agree with you about making the difference between dead coral found on the beach and live coral taken in the sea though.

All the best
DAVID